Friends, Family React To David Carradine's Death - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Friends, Family React To David Carradine's Death

Posted: Updated:
  • RelatedMore>>

Actor David Carradine Found Dead In Bangkok

Thursday, June 4 2009 10:38 AM EDT2009-06-04 14:38:12 GMT
    Thursday, June 4 2009 5:31 PM EDT2009-06-04 21:31:04 GMT
    Actor David Carradine, a born seeker and cult idol who broke through as the willing student called "grasshopper" in the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" and decades later as leader of an assassin squad in "Kill Bill," was found dead Thursday in Thailand. Police said he appeared to have hanged himself.

Reaction to the death of David Carradine:

___

"I was deeply saddened by the news of David Carradine's passing. We met when we made 'Boxcar Bertha' together, almost 40 years ago. I have very fond memories of our time together on that picture and on 'Mean Streets,' where he agreed to do a brief cameo. David was a great collaborator, a uniquely talented actor, and a wonderful spirit. He loved movies, acting in movies, making movies, and he was always extremely generous." - Martin Scorsese.

___

"David was one of the first actors I ever worked with when I started my career and the closest person to a brother that I ever had in my life. It is shocking to me that he is no longer with us. I had been thinking about calling him for the last several days and advise anybody who has been thinking about reaching out to a loved one to do so. I have so many great memories of David that I wouldn't even know where to begin. He has a very special place in my heart." - Michael Madsen.

___

"My uncle David was a brilliantly talented, fiercely intelligent and generous man. He was the nexus of our family in so many ways, and drew us together over the years and kept us connected. I adored him as a child, and as an adult I admired and respected him. We will all miss him terribly, and are so grateful for everyone's condolences." - Martha Plimpton.

___

"R.I.P. David Carradine. You were a true hero to so many of us children of the 70s. We'll miss you, Kwai Chang Caine." - Rainn Wilson, via Twitter.

___

"David's always been kind of a seeker of knowledge and of wisdom in his own inimitable way. It was such a logical thing for him to play that part (in 'Kung Fu.') The years of his life preceding that all conspired to make him the perfect choice for that role." - Keith Carradine in a 1995 interview.

___

"I wasn't like a TV star in those days, I was like a rock and roll star. It was a phenomenon kind of thing. It wasn't like someone in sitcom. It was very special." - David Carradine in a 1996 interview, talking about how "Kung Fu" changed his life.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.

• Entertainment NewsEntertainment NewsMore>>

BTS's agency apologizes over band member's A-bomb shirt

Tuesday, November 13 2018 10:08 PM EST2018-11-14 03:08:11 GMT
    Thursday, November 15 2018 11:09 AM EST2018-11-15 16:09:43 GMT
    The agency for the South Korean band BTS has apologized for a member wearing a T-shirt depicting an atomic bombing.

Aerosmith's Perry tweets 'doing well' after hospitalization

Wednesday, November 14 2018 8:18 AM EST2018-11-14 13:18:53 GMT
    Thursday, November 15 2018 11:02 AM EST2018-11-15 16:02:31 GMT
    (AP Photo/Aijaz Rahi, File). FILE - In this Saturday, June 2, 2007, file photo, American rock band Aerosmith's guitarist Joe Perry performs during a concert in Bangalore, India. Perry is hospitalized with breathing problems that began after a performan...(AP Photo/Aijaz Rahi, File). FILE - In this Saturday, June 2, 2007, file photo, American rock band Aerosmith's guitarist Joe Perry performs during a concert in Bangalore, India. Perry is hospitalized with breathing problems that began after a performan...
    Joe Perry is feeling the love from fans after he was hospitalized with breathing problems that began after a guest performance with Billy Joel in New York.

Chris Stapleton wins big at CMAs, Keith Urban nabs top prize

Wednesday, November 14 2018 9:48 AM EST2018-11-14 14:48:38 GMT
    Thursday, November 15 2018 11:02 AM EST2018-11-15 16:02:08 GMT
    (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - This Nov. 8, 2017 file photo shows hosts Brad Paisley, left, and Carrie Underwood during the opening of the 51st annual CMA Awards in Nashville, Tenn. Underwood will be working triple-duty at the 2018...(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - This Nov. 8, 2017 file photo shows hosts Brad Paisley, left, and Carrie Underwood during the opening of the 51st annual CMA Awards in Nashville, Tenn. Underwood will be working triple-duty at the 2018...
    Carrie Underwood will be working triple-duty at the 2018 Country Music Association Awards as co-host, performer and nominee.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.