Demolition Ordered To Stop At Tiger Stadium - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Demolition Ordered To Stop At Tiger Stadium

Posted: Updated:

DETROIT (AP) - The demolition of Tiger Stadium was halted by a judge Friday, just hours after crews began tearing down what's left of the historic ballpark.

Wayne County Circuit Judge Isidore Torres issued a temporary restraining order, said Robert Rossbach, spokesman for the Detroit Economic Growth Corp.

The injunction was requested by the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy, a nonprofit group that had tried to raise money to preserve and redevelop the ballpark. Its $33.4 million plan was rejected Tuesday by the city's Economic Development Corp. board, which said funding wasn't in place.

A hearing on the order will be held Monday before Wayne County Circuit Judge Prentis Edwards, Rossbach said.

Tiger Stadium opened in 1912 as Navin Field, on the same day Fenway Park opened in Boston. The Detroit Tigers left after the 1999 season, moving to Comerica Park.

Wrecking crews went to work last June, and much of the stadium was torn down by fall.

On Friday, a backhoe tore apart a portion of the lower deck along what had been the third-base line. Dozens of fans stood on a nearby pedestrian bridge as a machine blasted water overhead to keep down dust.

Peter Riley, one of the leaders of the various efforts to save the stadium, watched equipment move toward the ballpark earlier in the day.

"To use a sports phrase, it's like losing Game 7," he said. "... You don't put in the passion, you don't put in the time, you don't put in the money for an unhappy ending."

Kathy D'Angelo was among the fans who gathered.

"There's not too many places downtown that are great memories," she said, adding "for those of us in the 50s and 60s, this was prime time."

Rossbach had said leveling the stadium would take 30 days and cleanup would take another 30 to 60 days.

(This version CORRECTS Corrects spelling of judge's name to Prentis; RESTORES background.)

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.

  • SportsMore>>

  • Bucks player 'gave in' during arrest to avoid officers' guns

    Bucks player 'gave in' during arrest to avoid officers' guns

    Saturday, May 26 2018 12:17 AM EDT2018-05-26 04:17:07 GMT
    (Milwaukee Police Department via AP). This Jan. 26, 2018 police body-camera footage released by Milwaukee Police Department shows NBA Bucks guard Sterling Brown as he talks to arresting police officers after being shot by a stun gun in a Walgreens park...(Milwaukee Police Department via AP). This Jan. 26, 2018 police body-camera footage released by Milwaukee Police Department shows NBA Bucks guard Sterling Brown as he talks to arresting police officers after being shot by a stun gun in a Walgreens park...
    NBA player Sterling Brown says he tried to remain calm when Milwaukee police used a stun gun to take him down during his arrest for a parking violation. 
    NBA player Sterling Brown says he tried to remain calm when Milwaukee police used a stun gun to take him down during his arrest for a parking violation. 
  • Rockets lose ailing Chris Paul, vow to dig in for Game 6

    Rockets lose ailing Chris Paul, vow to dig in for Game 6

    Saturday, May 26 2018 12:16 AM EDT2018-05-26 04:16:09 GMT
    (AP Photo/David J. Phillip). Houston Rockets guard Chris Paul wears the Santa Fe High School logo during the first half in Game 5 of the team's NBA basketball playoffs Western Conference finals against the Golden State Warriors in Houston, Thursday, Ma...(AP Photo/David J. Phillip). Houston Rockets guard Chris Paul wears the Santa Fe High School logo during the first half in Game 5 of the team's NBA basketball playoffs Western Conference finals against the Golden State Warriors in Houston, Thursday, Ma...
    Houston's Chris Paul will miss Game 6 of the Western Conference finals against the Golden State Warriors on Saturday night because of a hamstring injury. 
    Houston's Chris Paul will miss Game 6 of the Western Conference finals against the Golden State Warriors on Saturday night because of a hamstring injury. 
  • Still bad: 71-year-old Ilie Nastase arrested twice in a day

    Still bad: 71-year-old Ilie Nastase arrested twice in a day

    Friday, May 25 2018 5:48 PM EDT2018-05-25 21:48:58 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alastair Grant, File). FILE - In this Monday, May 23, 2016, file photo, former Romanian tennis player Ilie Nastase watches a match at the French Open tennis tournament in Paris, France. Romanian police have arrested former tennis player Ilie ...(AP Photo/Alastair Grant, File). FILE - In this Monday, May 23, 2016, file photo, former Romanian tennis player Ilie Nastase watches a match at the French Open tennis tournament in Paris, France. Romanian police have arrested former tennis player Ilie ...
    Romanian police arrest former tennis player Ilie Nastase twice in the same day, first on suspicion of drunken driving and refusing to take a breathalyzer test, then for riding a scooter without a license. 
    Romanian police arrest former tennis player Ilie Nastase twice in the same day, first on suspicion of drunken driving and refusing to take a breathalyzer test, then for riding a scooter without a license. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.