Felony Charges Filed Against Student Accused Of Setting Off Bottle Bombs - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Felony Charges Filed Against Student Accused Of Setting Off Bottle Bombs

Posted: Updated:
Felony charges were filed today against an 18-year-old scholar-athlete accused of setting off five bottle bombs at San Ysidro High School on June 5, forcing a campus lockdown.

Elphbert Laforteza is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday afternoon at the South Bay Courthouse on charges of possession of a destructive device in a public place, possession of ingredients to make a destructive device and possession of a destructive device.

Besides the five crude homemade chemical bombs that exploded in trash barrels during the lunch hour, three others were disabled by the bomb squad and officers found four others partially assembled in Laforteza's backpack, according to authorities.

Nobody was injured and no property was damaged in the explosions.

Laforteza told investigators he had brought a dozen of the bottle bombs to the Airway Road campus, according to Maurice Luque, a spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

San Ysidro High Principal Hector Espinoza called it a "very bad prank."

Laforteza -- an all-league football player and an ROTC cadet -- was awarded his diploma last week but was not allowed to graduate with his class. He applied but was not admitted to the Air Force Academy, a spokesman for the Air Force said.

Authorities are still looking for others involved in the incident, and more arrests are anticipated, said District Attorney's Office spokesman Paul Levikow.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.