Man Convicted Of Murder For Shooting Artist In North Park - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Man Convicted Of Murder For Shooting Artist In North Park

Posted: Updated:
A man who killed an artist in a North Park alley in a dispute over the artist's work -- or a woman both men had been dating -- was convicted today of first-degree murder.

After a nearly two-week trial, a jury found David Jesus Barron, 26, guilty in the July 28 fatal shooting of Miguel Leon-Fregoso, 27.

Barron was also convicted of attempted murder for firing two shots at Leon's friend before speeding off in his truck.

He faces a maximum of 79 years to life in prison when he is sentenced July 20 by Superior Court Judge Bernard Revak.

Prosecutor Greg Walden said Leon was at a bar celebrating the birthday of a woman he had been dating when the woman -- who had also been having sex with Barron -- told the artist that Barron had criticized his artwork.

He said Leon went across the street to another bar to confront Barron about the comments, and afterwards, Barron found Leon in an alley and shot him in the face with a .357 magnum, then fired at Leon's friend.

Barron's attorney, Alan Spears, told the jury his client shot Leon because he thought the artist was going to shoot him.

Spears said the case was about "betrayal, disrespect and the consequences of that disrespect."

He said Barron met the woman at the bar before Leon arrived, but left to avoid any problems.

However, Leon and his friends confronted him at the other bar, and Barron left the bar in his pickup truck, but was again confronted by Leon and a friend, the defense attorney said.

As Barron pulled up in the alley, he saw Leon's friend with a gun and knocked it out of his hand by opening the door to his truck, Spears said.

He said Barron thought Leon was also going to pull a gun, and shot him "out of fear."

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Man, 63, missing in Santee

    Man, 63, missing in Santee

    Wednesday, March 20 2019 2:40 AM EDT2019-03-20 06:40:29 GMT

    A 63-year-old man who suffers from undisclosed medical conditions and may become disoriented if contacted went missing Tuesday.

     

    A 63-year-old man who suffers from undisclosed medical conditions and may become disoriented if contacted went missing Tuesday.

     
  • Elisabeth Kimmel's family charity under investigation in Illinois

    Elisabeth Kimmel's family charity under investigation in Illinois

    Wednesday, March 20 2019 1:42 AM EDT2019-03-20 05:42:47 GMT

    A week after former KFMB owner Elisabeth Kimmel was charged with felony charges stemming from alleged bribes paid to get her son and daughter into top-ranked universities in the country, the Kimmel’s family foundation is now under investigation by the Illinois attorney general.

     

    A week after former KFMB owner Elisabeth Kimmel was charged with felony charges stemming from alleged bribes paid to get her son and daughter into top-ranked universities in the country, the Kimmel’s family foundation is now under investigation by the Illinois attorney general.

     
  • San Diego Unified School Board Trustee Kevin Beiser denies sexual abuse allegations

    San Diego Unified School Board Trustee Kevin Beiser denies sexual abuse allegations

    Wednesday, March 20 2019 1:36 AM EDT2019-03-20 05:36:08 GMT

    San Diego Unified School Board District B Trustee Kevin Beiser on Tuesday night denied allegations he sexually abused a local political consultant from 2013 to 2018 that prompted two local political groups to call for him to resign.

     

    San Diego Unified School Board District B Trustee Kevin Beiser on Tuesday night denied allegations he sexually abused a local political consultant from 2013 to 2018 that prompted two local political groups to call for him to resign.

     
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.