Jermaine Jackson: 'I wish it was me' - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Jermaine Jackson: 'I wish it was me'

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (AP) - Jermaine Jackson says he would like to see Neverland Ranch as his brother Michael's final resting place.

In an interview broadcast Thursday on NBC's "Today" show, Jermaine Jackson also said he wishes he had died instead of his younger brother, and that Michael was "a gift from Allah."

"He went too soon. I don't know how people are going to take this, but I wish it was me," Jermaine Jackson said.

When asked why he felt that way, Jermaine Jackson said he always felt that he was Michael's "backbone."

"I wanted to be there for him. I was there and he was sort of like molded. Things he couldn't say, I would say them. During the trials, during everything ..."

Jermaine Jackson said that when he rushed to UCLA Medical Center last Thursday, where the 50-year-old pop singer was pronounced dead, "I wanted to see Michael, and I wanted to see my brother, and see him there lifeless and breathless was very emotional for me, but I held myself together, because I know he's very much alive."

"His spirit is, and that was just a shell, but I kissed him on his forehead and I hugged him, and I touched him and I said, 'Michael, I'll never leave you. You'll never leave me.'"

On Wednesday, Jackson family spokesman Ken Sunshine said a public memorial was in the works but it wouldn't be held at Neverland.

A person familiar with the situation told the AP that permits for a burial at the sprawling Santa Barbara, Calif., estate could not be arranged in time. The person was not authorized to speak for the family and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Jackson said Neverland was Michael's home.

"He created this. Why wouldn't he be here? I feel his presence."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.

• Entertainment NewsEntertainment NewsMore>>

Barack Obama congratulates A-Rod J. Lo on their engagement

Friday, March 22 2019 11:41 AM EDT2019-03-22 15:41:12 GMT
    Sunday, March 24 2019 3:01 PM EDT2019-03-24 19:01:46 GMT
    (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILe - In this Feb. 24, 2019 file photo, Jennifer Lopez, left, and Alex Rodriguez arrive at the Oscars  at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.  Barack Obama is feeling the love about the engagement of Lopez an...(Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILe - In this Feb. 24, 2019 file photo, Jennifer Lopez, left, and Alex Rodriguez arrive at the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. Barack Obama is feeling the love about the engagement of Lopez an...
    Barack Obama is feeling the love about the engagement of Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez.

Gary Clark Jr. is confronting racism with 'This Land'

Friday, March 22 2019 12:31 PM EDT2019-03-22 16:31:14 GMT
    Sunday, March 24 2019 3:01 PM EDT2019-03-24 19:01:43 GMT
    (Photo by Amy Harris/Invision/AP, File). FILE - This Nov. 5, 2017 file photo shows Gary Clark Jr. performing at the Summit LA17 in Los Angeles. Clark confronts racism with his new album "This Land."(Photo by Amy Harris/Invision/AP, File). FILE - This Nov. 5, 2017 file photo shows Gary Clark Jr. performing at the Summit LA17 in Los Angeles. Clark confronts racism with his new album "This Land."
    Gary Clark Jr. is using his explosive song 'This Land' to confront what he sees as an uptick in racism in the United States.

Barbra Streisand criticized for comments on Michael Jackson accusers: 'It didn't kill them'

Saturday, March 23 2019 9:02 AM EDT2019-03-23 13:02:23 GMT
    Mar 23, 2019 4:13 PM2019-03-23 20:13:00 GMT

Barbra Streisand apologized Saturday for her remarks about Michael Jackson and two men who have accused him of sexual abuse, saying that she should have chosen her words more carefully and that she admires the accusers for "speaking their truth."

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.