Jermaine Jackson: 'I wish it was me' - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Jermaine Jackson: 'I wish it was me'

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (AP) - Jermaine Jackson says he would like to see Neverland Ranch as his brother Michael's final resting place.

In an interview broadcast Thursday on NBC's "Today" show, Jermaine Jackson also said he wishes he had died instead of his younger brother, and that Michael was "a gift from Allah."

"He went too soon. I don't know how people are going to take this, but I wish it was me," Jermaine Jackson said.

When asked why he felt that way, Jermaine Jackson said he always felt that he was Michael's "backbone."

"I wanted to be there for him. I was there and he was sort of like molded. Things he couldn't say, I would say them. During the trials, during everything ..."

Jermaine Jackson said that when he rushed to UCLA Medical Center last Thursday, where the 50-year-old pop singer was pronounced dead, "I wanted to see Michael, and I wanted to see my brother, and see him there lifeless and breathless was very emotional for me, but I held myself together, because I know he's very much alive."

"His spirit is, and that was just a shell, but I kissed him on his forehead and I hugged him, and I touched him and I said, 'Michael, I'll never leave you. You'll never leave me.'"

On Wednesday, Jackson family spokesman Ken Sunshine said a public memorial was in the works but it wouldn't be held at Neverland.

A person familiar with the situation told the AP that permits for a burial at the sprawling Santa Barbara, Calif., estate could not be arranged in time. The person was not authorized to speak for the family and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Jackson said Neverland was Michael's home.

"He created this. Why wouldn't he be here? I feel his presence."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.

• Entertainment NewsEntertainment NewsMore>>

Billionaire Boys Club's Joe Hunt seeks cut in life sentence

Monday, October 22 2018 3:25 PM EDT2018-10-22 19:25:07 GMT
    Tuesday, October 23 2018 2:56 AM EDT2018-10-23 06:56:34 GMT
    The founder of the infamous Billionaire Boys Club who is serving a life sentence for murder is appealing to California Gov. Jerry Brown for a chance at freedom.

PBS docuseries 'Native America' recreates cultures pre-1492

Monday, October 22 2018 2:55 PM EDT2018-10-22 18:55:18 GMT
    Tuesday, October 23 2018 1:57 AM EDT2018-10-23 05:57:01 GMT
    (Providence Pictures/PBS via AP). This image released by Providence Pictures shows an ancient kiva in Pueblo Bonito in Chaco Culture National Historical Park, northern New Mexico. The location is featured in a new four-part PBS docuseries, “Native Amer...(Providence Pictures/PBS via AP). This image released by Providence Pictures shows an ancient kiva in Pueblo Bonito in Chaco Culture National Historical Park, northern New Mexico. The location is featured in a new four-part PBS docuseries, “Native Amer...
    A new four-part PBS docuseries entitled "Native America" seeks to recreate a world in the Americas generations prior to the arrival of Europeans.

Rowling, Tolkien, Austen novels vie for bragging rights

Monday, October 22 2018 1:35 PM EDT2018-10-22 17:35:01 GMT
    Tuesday, October 23 2018 1:56 AM EDT2018-10-23 05:56:32 GMT
    (AP Photo). This combination photo shows J.R.R. Tolkien, author of "The Lord of the Rings," series in 1967, left, and J. K. Rowling, author of the "Harry Potter" series at  the "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" Broadway opening in New York on April 2...(AP Photo). This combination photo shows J.R.R. Tolkien, author of "The Lord of the Rings," series in 1967, left, and J. K. Rowling, author of the "Harry Potter" series at the "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" Broadway opening in New York on April 2...
    A six-month effort to find America's best-loved novel is coming to end, with works by J.K. Rowling and Jane Austen among the top contenders.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.