SAN DIEGO (AP) - Right guard Kynan Forney, who was the frontrunner to start a few weeks ago, was one of 21 players released by the San Diego Chargers on Saturday to set their 53-man roster.
Forney signed to a two-year, $4.8 million contract extension in the offseason, but missed time due to a neck injury and eventually fell behind rookie Louis Vasquez.
"When he's been able to play, he's done well," coach Norv Turner said. "Sometimes you end up competing with guys in other (positions) and there are some young players that we felt needed to be here. That was an area we could make a move."
Backup nose tackle Ian Scott also was released, leaving little experienced depth at that position. Veteran running back Michael Bennett earned a roster spot with an outstanding preseason, leaving the Chargers with four running backs and two fullbacks.
The team is only carrying three cornerbacks, at least for the time being. San Diego will scour the waiver wire for a fourth cornerback, but seems content using a pair of versatile safeties to fill that need.
"We certainly will look, but it's not as likely that we'd make a move," Turner said. "If there's someone who complements our roster, we would consider it."
The team also put defensive lineman Ryon Bingham on injured reserve with a surgically repaired biceps tear. Bingham was expected to be an impact player, but last week's trade with Houston for versatile lineman Travis Johnson made that move possible.
"It was a tough decision and you agonize over it a little bit because there will be a point where Ryon will be healthy and able to contribute," Turner said. "We weren't trying to hide anything. We were trying to make that decision over the last three or four weeks."
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.