Ex-NY Giant Burress gets 2 years in gun case - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Ex-NY Giant Burress gets 2 years in gun case

Posted: Updated:
Former Super Bowl star Plaxico Burress appears before judge Michael Melkonian for his sentencing in Manhattan criminal court, Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2009, in New York. Burress was sentenced Tuesday to two years in prison. Former Super Bowl star Plaxico Burress appears before judge Michael Melkonian for his sentencing in Manhattan criminal court, Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2009, in New York. Burress was sentenced Tuesday to two years in prison.

NEW YORK (AP) - Former Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress tearfully told his family goodbye as he was led away to prison Tuesday after being sentenced to two years on a weapons charge.

Burress was so soft-spoken during his apologetic courtroom address that onlookers could not understand him.

Burress, at the time a star receiver with the New York Giants, was at the Latin Quarter nightclub in Manhattan last November when a gun tucked into his waistband slipped down his leg and fired, wounding him in the thigh.

The gun was not licensed in New York or in New Jersey, where Burress lived. His license to carry a concealed weapon in Florida had expired in May 2008.

He had been indicted on two counts of weapons possession and one count of reckless endangerment, but under a plea deal reached Aug. 20, Burress agreed to a single, lesser charge of attempted criminal possession of a weapon.

No charges were filed against Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce, who was with Burress the night of the incident, drove him to the hospital and took the gun to his home in New Jersey before arranging to have it returned to Burress.

With time off for good behavior, Burress likely will serve 20 months. He could be released from prison as early as the spring of 2011 and will be monitored an additional two years after he is freed.

Burress hired a consultant to teach him how to use his time in prison productively.

The Giants released Burress in April, but the 32-year-old told ESPN he hopes to resume his NFL career when he completes his sentence.

"When I get out, I'll be 33, not 43," Burress said in an interview broadcast in August. "I'll still be able to run and catch. I'll still have the God-given ability to snag footballs; that's what I love to do. Of course, I want to play again."

Gil Brandt, an analyst on NFL Sirius Radio and the former head of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys, said Burress won't be too old for a comeback when he's released from prison.

"First of all, Plaxico is a guy who keeps himself in pretty good shape," Brandt said. "Lots of times guys get heavy in the off-season. He is not a guy who has done that."

Burress is suspended by the NFL, but the league said he will be reinstated after he completes his prison sentence.

The star receiver played collegiately for Michigan State and in 2000 was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers, where he built a reputation as one of the league's top deep threats. He signed as a free agent with the Giants before the 2005 season.

Burress' big moment with the Giants came when he caught the winning touchdown over the previously undefeated New England Patriots in the final minute of the 2008 Super Bowl.

His attorney, Benjamin Brafman, said previously that Burress was thinking of his family - including his wife and young son, Elijah - in taking the plea, but Brafman questioned the fairness of the recommended prison sentence.

"This was not an intentional criminal act," Brafman said the day of the plea. "In my judgment, a two-year prison sentence is a very severe punishment."

Before sentencing Tuesday, Brafman called Burress "a fundamentally decent man."

"This is a very real tragic case in many, many ways," Brafman said.

___

Associated Press Sports Writer Tom Canavan contributed to this report from East Rutherford, N.J.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.

  • SportsMore>>

  • Spieth part of 3-way tie for British lead as Woods lurks

    Spieth part of 3-way tie for British lead as Woods lurks

    Saturday, July 21 2018 4:10 PM EDT2018-07-21 20:10:41 GMT
    Tiger Woods of the US lines up a putt on the 13th green during the third round of the British Open Golf Championship in Carnoustie, Scotland, Saturday July 21, 2018. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)Tiger Woods of the US lines up a putt on the 13th green during the third round of the British Open Golf Championship in Carnoustie, Scotland, Saturday July 21, 2018. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)

    Jordan Spieth set the tone pulling driver on the 396-yard opening hole and sending it bouncing and rolling to 10 feet for eagle. Moments later, Tiger Woods sent the gallery into a frenzy with three straight birdies to get into contention at a major for the first time in five years.

     

    Jordan Spieth set the tone pulling driver on the 396-yard opening hole and sending it bouncing and rolling to 10 feet for eagle. Moments later, Tiger Woods sent the gallery into a frenzy with three straight birdies to get into contention at a major for the first time in five years.

     
  • AP source: Falcons won't offer WR Jones new deal this year

    AP source: Falcons won't offer WR Jones new deal this year

    Thursday, July 19 2018 1:23 PM EDT2018-07-19 17:23:25 GMT
    Friday, July 20 2018 11:19 AM EDT2018-07-20 15:19:12 GMT
    (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File). FILE - In this Nov. 26, 2017, file photo, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones walks off the field after an NFL football game between the Falcons and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in Atlanta. A person familiar with the ...(AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File). FILE - In this Nov. 26, 2017, file photo, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones walks off the field after an NFL football game between the Falcons and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in Atlanta. A person familiar with the ...
    AP source: Atlanta Falcons won't offer a new contract to star receiver Julio Jones. 
    AP source: Atlanta Falcons won't offer a new contract to star receiver Julio Jones. 
  • Suspect detained in killing of Olympic figure skating star

    Olympic figure skater, medalist Denis Ten dies after stabbing in Kazakhstan

    Thursday, July 19 2018 7:29 PM EDT2018-07-19 23:29:05 GMT
    Jul 20, 2018 2:48 AM2018-07-20 06:48:00 GMT

    Kazakh figure skater and Olympic medalist Denis Ten died Thursday after being stabbed in an attack in the streets of the country's largest city, a top Kazakh official confirmed on social media. He was 25.

     
    Authorities in Kazakhstan said Friday a man has been detained and confessed to killing the Olympic figure skating medalist Denis Ten. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.