Woods withdraws from tourney, citing injuries - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Woods withdraws from tourney, citing injuries

Posted: Updated:

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) – Tiger Woods still isn't talking. Now he's not playing, either. Woods withdrew Monday from his own golf tournament, citing injuries from a car crash near his Florida home. His decision comes as questions continue to mount regarding what exactly happened in the wee hours of the morning last Friday — questions that most certainly would have been asked of him had he played.

The world's No. 1 golfer posted a statement on his Web site saying that unspecified injuries prevented him from playing in the Chevron World Challenge. He had been scheduled to hold a press conference Tuesday for the tournament, which he hosts annually for a small, invited, field.

"I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week," Woods said. "I am certain it will be an outstanding event and I'm very sorry that I can't be there."

Tournament officials said fans who bought advance tickets with the hope of seeing Woods could get refunds beginning next week. Those who keep their tickets will get a 20 percent discount when they buy them next year.

Woods sustained cuts and bruises when he crashed his SUV into a fire hydrant and a tree at 2:25 a.m., outside his home in an exclusive, gated community near Orlando. He was treated and released from a hospital, and has not been seen in public since.

By skipping the tournament, Woods will escape having to face TV cameras and a horde of media seeking more details about the smashup. The tournament was to be the last of the year for Woods anyway, and he did not say when or where he would make his return next year.

The first tournament of the 2010 PGA Tour is the SBS Championship in Hawaii, an event for winners from the previous year, beginning Jan. 7, but Woods wasn't expected to be there. He's more likely to play at Torrey Pines in La Jolla, Calif., the week of Jan. 25.

Woods released a statement Sunday saying the accident was his fault and asked that it remain "a private matter." But with the Florida Highway Patrol still investigating and the media in full pursuit, Woods may not get his way.

Woods even faced questions from fans who left comments on his Web site. Most voiced support for him, but some said he should address the questions about his own actions and those of his wife, Elin Nordegren, before and after the accident.

Woods hasn't answered questions from Florida troopers, either, turning them down three days in a row when they came to his house.

Four cars were parked in Woods' driveway Monday, but no lights appeared to be on inside. A new fire hydrant had already replaced the one that Woods plowed into. A dirt hole and an orange barricade remained in the old hydrant's place.

A woman at the address listed on a FHP news release as the scene of the crash, told the Orlando Sentinel that her husband didn't call emergency responders, but that someone else in the house did. The tape of the call was released Sunday.

The Associated Press called the home of Linda and Jerome Adams on Monday morning and asked to speak with the Adams' son. The woman who answered the telephone told a reporter to call back later in the day. When the AP called back Monday evening, attorney Bill Sharpe answered and said he was representing the family. He said there was no comment at this time, but said a statement might be made Tuesday.

Woods, who both hosts and plays in the Chevron World Challenge, was there last year even though he couldn't play because he was recovering from knee surgery. His absence this year will be the first since the tournament — which has only an 18-player field — began in 1999. He was replaced by Graeme McDowell.

Though he cited injuries from the accident in withdrawing, Woods didn't specifically say what those injuries included. The neighbor, who called 911 after Woods ran over the hydrant and hit a tree, said he was unconscious and laying outside his SUV. His wife told Windermere police she used a golf club to smash the back windows to help him out.

"This is a private matter and I want to keep it that way," Woods said in a statement Sunday, his first since the crash. "Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible. ...

"I appreciate all the concern and well wishes that we have received," he said. "But, I would also ask for some understanding that my family and I deserve some privacy no matter how intrusive some people can be."

The reference to "false, unfounded and malicious rumors" may have involved a story published last week in the National Enquirer alleging that Woods had been seeing a New York nightclub hostess, and that they recently were together in Melbourne, where Woods competed in the Australian Masters.

The woman, Rachel Uchitel, denied having an affair with Woods when contacted by The Associated Press. On Sunday, she flew to Los Angeles and was met by high-profile attorney Gloria Allred at the airport.

Still, even the release of the 911 tape and Woods' statement failed to answer several basic questions about the accident:

• Where he was going at that time of the night?

• How did he lose control of his SUV when it wasn't going fast enough to deploy airbags?

• Why were both rear windows of the Cadillac Escalade smashed?

• If it was a careless mistake, why not speak to state troopers trying to wrap the investigation?

.

By skipping the tournament, Woods will escape having to face TV cameras and a horde of media seeking more details about the smashup.

Woods released a statement Sunday saying the accident was his fault, but he did not address any of the questions still swirling around it.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) — Tiger Woods has withdrawn from his own golf tournament after citing injuries from a car crash near his Florida home.

Woods said in a statement on his Web site Monday that injuries won't allow him to play in the Chevron World Challenge. He said he would return to competition next year.

"I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week," Woods said. "I am certain it will be an outstanding event and I'm very sorry that I can't be there."

His decision to withdraw comes after a car crash left him with cuts and bruises when his SUV hit a fire hydrant and a tree.

  • SportsMore>>

  • Boeheim to coach Syracuse vs. Duke after fatal car crash

    Boeheim to coach Syracuse vs. Duke after fatal car crash

    Friday, February 22 2019 2:03 PM EST2019-02-22 19:03:19 GMT
    Saturday, February 23 2019 7:44 AM EST2019-02-23 12:44:02 GMT
    (AP Foto/Carlos Osorio, Archivo). ARCHIVO - En esta fotografía de archivo del 15 de marzo de 2018, el entrenador del equipo masculino colegial de Syracuse, Jim Boeheim, observa una práctica de sus jugadores antes del partido de su conjunto en la primer...(AP Foto/Carlos Osorio, Archivo). ARCHIVO - En esta fotografía de archivo del 15 de marzo de 2018, el entrenador del equipo masculino colegial de Syracuse, Jim Boeheim, observa una práctica de sus jugadores antes del partido de su conjunto en la primer...
    (AP Foto/Carlos Osorio, Archivo). ARCHIVO - En esta fotografía de archivo del 15 de marzo de 2018, el entrenador del equipo masculino colegial de Syracuse, Jim Boeheim, observa una práctica de sus jugadores antes del partido de su conjunto en la primer...(AP Foto/Carlos Osorio, Archivo). ARCHIVO - En esta fotografía de archivo del 15 de marzo de 2018, el entrenador del equipo masculino colegial de Syracuse, Jim Boeheim, observa una práctica de sus jugadores antes del partido de su conjunto en la primer...
    Jim Boeheim to coach Syracuse against top-ranked Duke on Saturday night. 
    Jim Boeheim to coach Syracuse against top-ranked Duke on Saturday night. 
  • After Machado, Padres could be open to more big signings

    After Machado, Padres could be open to more big signings

    Friday, February 22 2019 12:03 PM EST2019-02-22 17:03:12 GMT
    Saturday, February 23 2019 7:43 AM EST2019-02-23 12:43:59 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File). FILE - In this Oct. 5, 2018, file photo, then-Los Angeles Dodgers' Manny Machado celebrates his two-run home run against the Atlanta Braves during the first inning of Game 2 of a baseball National League Division Series, i...(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File). FILE - In this Oct. 5, 2018, file photo, then-Los Angeles Dodgers' Manny Machado celebrates his two-run home run against the Atlanta Braves during the first inning of Game 2 of a baseball National League Division Series, i...
    (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File). FILE - In this Oct. 5, 2018, file photo, then-Los Angeles Dodgers' Manny Machado celebrates his two-run home run against the Atlanta Braves during the first inning of Game 2 of a baseball National League Division Series, i...(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File). FILE - In this Oct. 5, 2018, file photo, then-Los Angeles Dodgers' Manny Machado celebrates his two-run home run against the Atlanta Braves during the first inning of Game 2 of a baseball National League Division Series, i...
    Manny Machado says he was attracted to San Diego Padres by team's strong farm system _ and $300 million. 
    Manny Machado says he was attracted to San Diego Padres by team's strong farm system _ and $300 million. 
  • Misbehaving owners hardly unheard of in pro sports

    Misbehaving owners hardly unheard of in pro sports

    Friday, February 22 2019 4:13 PM EST2019-02-22 21:13:08 GMT
    Saturday, February 23 2019 7:43 AM EST2019-02-23 12:43:52 GMT
    (AP Photo/Steven Senne, File). FILE - In this June 7, 2018, file photo, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft speaks with reporters following an NFL football minicamp practice, in Foxborough, Mass. Police in Florida have charged New England Patriots ...(AP Photo/Steven Senne, File). FILE - In this June 7, 2018, file photo, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft speaks with reporters following an NFL football minicamp practice, in Foxborough, Mass. Police in Florida have charged New England Patriots ...
    (AP Photo/Steven Senne, File). FILE - In this June 7, 2018, file photo, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft speaks with reporters following an NFL football minicamp practice, in Foxborough, Mass. Police in Florida have charged New England Patriots ...(AP Photo/Steven Senne, File). FILE - In this June 7, 2018, file photo, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft speaks with reporters following an NFL football minicamp practice, in Foxborough, Mass. Police in Florida have charged New England Patriots ...
    Misbehaving owners of sports teams have drawn headlines pretty much since sports have been around. 
    Misbehaving owners of sports teams have drawn headlines pretty much since sports have been around. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.