NY refuses to free Plaxico Burress on work release - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

NY refuses to free Plaxico Burress on work release

Posted: Updated:
  • RelatedMore>>

  • Ex-NY Giant Burress gets 2 years in gun case

    Ex-NY Giant Burress gets 2 years in gun case

    Tuesday, September 22 2009 2:08 PM EDT2009-09-22 18:08:13 GMT
    Former Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress tearfully told his family goodbye as he was led away to prison Tuesday after being sentenced to two years on a weapons charge. 
    Former Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress tearfully told his family goodbye as he was led away to prison Tuesday after being sentenced to two years on a weapons charge. 
  • Giants Release Burress 4 Months After Shooting

    Giants Release Burress 4 Months After Shooting

    Friday, April 3 2009 4:38 PM EDT2009-04-03 20:38:33 GMT
    The New York Giants released Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress on Friday, a little more than four months after the talented but troubled wide receiver accidentally shot himself in the thigh in a New York City nightclub. 
    The New York Giants released Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress on Friday, a little more than four months after the talented but troubled wide receiver accidentally shot himself in the thigh in a New York City nightclub. 

NEW YORK (AP) - Plaxico Burress is not getting out of prison just yet.

The work-release application for the ex-Giants star was denied by the New York Department of Correctional Services because of the nature of his crime. Burress pleaded guilty in August to attempted criminal possession of a weapon for having a loaded handgun in a nightclub that went off and shot him in the leg.

"At no time did you report this incident to local law enforcement. As such, it is determined that you must serve a greater portion of your sentence prior to consideration for potential participation in the temporary release program," the ruling said.

The program would have allowed him to spend some portion of his two-year sentence at home. The announcement was made Thursday.

Burress applied for the furlough Nov. 25, about two months into his sentence. Though he had no prior record, the decision wasn't a surprise; less than 5 percent of the more than 31,500 work-release applications in 2008 were granted.

Burress can appeal, and may also reapply for work release in six months. His attorney, Benjamin Brafman, declined to comment.

Burress, then a Giants receiver, was at the Latin Quarter nightclub in November 2008 with a .40-caliber gun tucked into the waistband of his track pants. He later said he was concerned for his safety because a teammate had been held up at gunpoint days before. The weapon slipped down Burress' leg and fired, injuring his right thigh.

The gun wasn't licensed in New York or New Jersey, where Burress lived, and his Florida concealed-weapons permit had expired. He also failed to report the incident to authorities.

Prosecutors argued the bullet narrowly missed a security guard.

Then-Manhattan Chief AssistantDistrict Attorney Mark Dwyer said last month that a quick furlough would send a bad message. The district attorney's office did not immediately comment Thursday on the application denial.

Burress is being held in protective custody at an upstate prison because of his notoriety. The Giants released him in April, but the 32-year-old said he hopes to resume his NFL career.

___

Associated Press Writer Jennifer Peltz contributed to this report.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.