O'Brien: I wouldn't have done what Jay Leno did - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

O'Brien: I wouldn't have done what Jay Leno did

Posted: Updated:
In this image taken from video and released by CBS, former 'Tonight Show' host Conan O'Brien, right, talks with '60 Minutes' correspondent Steve Kroft, at O'Brien's Los Angeles home, Wednesday, April 21, 2010. In this image taken from video and released by CBS, former 'Tonight Show' host Conan O'Brien, right, talks with '60 Minutes' correspondent Steve Kroft, at O'Brien's Los Angeles home, Wednesday, April 21, 2010.

NEW YORK – In his first post-"Tonight" show interview, Conan O'Brien said that if he had been in Jay Leno's shoes, he would not have taken back the show less than a year after publicly handing it off to someone else.

"That's me, you know," O'Brien told Steve Kroft of "60 Minutes" in an interview to be broadcast Sunday, excerpts of which were released Thursday by CBS. "Everyone's got their own way ... of doing things."

O'Brien, in the midst of a sold-out concert tour, said he decided to leave NBC because "this relationship is going to be toxic and maybe we just need to go our separate ways."

It was the comic's first interview about the late-night television drama that played out this winter.

He has since been hired by TBS, where he will launch a talk show in November.

In a transition laid out five years earlier, Leno left "Tonight" last year and O'Brien took over. NBC worried about losing Leno to a competitor so the network gave him a prime-time show five nights a week.

That failed on two fronts: affiliates objected to Leno's low ratings and threatened to pull the show, and O'Brien's poor "Tonight" show ratings enabled CBS' David Letterman to surge ahead to first place.

NBC tried to please both comics by offering Leno a half-hour show at 11:35 p.m. and letting O'Brien keep the "Tonight" show name and begin a half hour later. O'Brien said no and Leno, who never wanted to leave "Tonight" in the first place, slipped back into his old home.

"I wouldn't have done that," O'Brien said.

Asked by Kroft what he would have done, O'Brien said, "Done something else, go someplace else. I mean, that's just me."

O'Brien said he didn't see the point in giving everything to a relationship with NBC that seemed to have no future.

"I'm not sure these people even really want me here," he said.

During the few weeks between his public decision and actual exit, O'Brien became something of a folk hero. An Internet "Team Coco" tribe rose up to support him, and O'Brien's ratings soared for shows with pointed jabs about his bosses.

NBC and a Leno spokesman had no comment about O'Brien's statements.

His buyout by NBC forbade O'Brien from giving interviews that could be printed or telecast before May 1; the "60 Minutes" telecast will be May 2.

CBS' release of the interview excerpts may be a technical violation of that deal, but NBC wasn't expected to pursue it.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

  • Entertainment NewsEntertainment NewsMore>>

  • Disney closes $71B deal for Fox entertainment assets

    Disney closes $71B deal for Fox entertainment assets

    Wednesday, March 20 2019 12:31 AM EDT2019-03-20 04:31:22 GMT
    Thursday, March 21 2019 10:21 AM EDT2019-03-21 14:21:53 GMT
    (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello). Cars enter and leave Fox Studios, Tuesday, March 19, 2019, in Los Angeles. Disney has closed its $71 acquisition of Fox’s entertainment business on Wednesday, March 20, in a move set to shake up the media landscape. The closu...(AP Photo/Chris Pizzello). Cars enter and leave Fox Studios, Tuesday, March 19, 2019, in Los Angeles. Disney has closed its $71 acquisition of Fox’s entertainment business on Wednesday, March 20, in a move set to shake up the media landscape. The closu...
    (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello). Cars enter and leave Fox Studios, Tuesday, March 19, 2019, in Los Angeles. Disney has closed its $71 acquisition of Fox’s entertainment business on Wednesday, March 20, in a move set to shake up the media landscape. The closu...(AP Photo/Chris Pizzello). Cars enter and leave Fox Studios, Tuesday, March 19, 2019, in Los Angeles. Disney has closed its $71 acquisition of Fox’s entertainment business on Wednesday, March 20, in a move set to shake up the media landscape. The closu...
    Disney has closed its $71 billion (xxx closing amount) acquisition of Fox's entertainment business in a move set to shake up the media landscape. 
    Disney has closed its $71 billion (xxx closing amount) acquisition of Fox's entertainment business in a move set to shake up the media landscape. 
  • Huffman's court date pushed back in admissions scam case

    Huffman's court date pushed back in admissions scam case

    Wednesday, March 20 2019 2:11 PM EDT2019-03-20 18:11:14 GMT
    Thursday, March 21 2019 10:11 AM EDT2019-03-21 14:11:56 GMT
    (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - This Sept. 17, 2017 file photo shows actress Felicity Huffman at the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles. Huffman and Lori Loughlin have worked steadily as respected actresses and remained recog...(Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - This Sept. 17, 2017 file photo shows actress Felicity Huffman at the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles. Huffman and Lori Loughlin have worked steadily as respected actresses and remained recog...
    (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - This Sept. 17, 2017 file photo shows actress Felicity Huffman at the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles. Huffman and Lori Loughlin have worked steadily as respected actresses and remained recog...(Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - This Sept. 17, 2017 file photo shows actress Felicity Huffman at the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles. Huffman and Lori Loughlin have worked steadily as respected actresses and remained recog...
    A judge has granted a request to push back actress Felicity Huffman's court appearance in Boston on charges that she participated in a college admissions cheating scam. 
    A judge has granted a request to push back actress Felicity Huffman's court appearance in Boston on charges that she participated in a college admissions cheating scam. 
  • Jay-Z, Dead & Co, the Killers to perform at Woodstock 50

    Jay-Z, Dead & Co, the Killers to perform at Woodstock 50

    Tuesday, March 19 2019 7:11 PM EDT2019-03-19 23:11:10 GMT
    Thursday, March 21 2019 3:31 AM EDT2019-03-21 07:31:38 GMT
    Jay-Z, Dead & Company and the Killers will headline the 50th anniversary of the groundbreaking Woodstock festival this summer. 
    Jay-Z, Dead & Company and the Killers will headline the 50th anniversary of the groundbreaking Woodstock festival this summer. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.