BP says it might drill again in spill reservoir - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

BP says it might drill again in spill reservoir

Posted: Updated:
BP PLC COO of Exploration and Production Doug Suttles walks on a beach that workers have cleaned of oil near the South Pass of the Mississippi River in Plaquemines Parish, La. BP PLC COO of Exploration and Production Doug Suttles walks on a beach that workers have cleaned of oil near the South Pass of the Mississippi River in Plaquemines Parish, La.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — BP PLC said Friday it might someday drill again into the same lucrative undersea pocket of oil that spilled millions of gallons of crude, wrecked livelihoods and fouled beaches along the Gulf of Mexico.

"There's lots of oil and gas here," Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles said at a news briefing. "We're going to have to think about what to do with that at some point."

The vast oil reservoir beneath the blown well is still believed to hold nearly $4 billion worth of crude. With the company and its partners facing tens of billions of dollars in liabilities, the incentive to exploit the wells and the reservoir could grow.

Retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the government's point man on the spill, said he had no information on BP's future plans.

"I would assume that's a policy issue related to the management of the lease," he told reporters. "Frankly, it hasn't been raised to my level at this point. I'm not sure I can comment on it."

Suttles has spent more than three months managing BP's response efforts on the Gulf but is now returning to his day job in Houston, the company said. Mike Utsler, a vice president who has been running BP's command post in Houma, La., since April, will replace him.

The personnel shift comes as BP appears to be gaining the upper hand on plugging the leak, triggered when an oil rig exploded off Louisiana on April 20, killing 11 workers and triggering the massive spill.

Engineers this week poured in cement to complete a plug at the top of the well bore as part of a process dubbed a "static kill," but they needed to wait at least a day for it to harden. Once it does, crews can finish the last stretch of a relief well intersecting the blown well just above the oil's source, injecting more mud and cement from the bottom to form a final plug.

Suttles confirmed Friday that crews for now plan to use the 18,000-foot relief well to seal off with mud and cement the underground reservoir feeding the blown well.

The company had been hedging on how exactly it would use the relief well, which it has been digging for three months, as federal officials insisted it should be used to perform the so-called "bottom kill."

If not used for the bottom kill, the relief wells could have conceivably offered a way for BP or another company to pump out oil and sell it, an idea unlikely to sit well with Gulf Coast residents and families of workers who died on the rig.

The Interior Department on Friday tamped down any hope that BP could still use the blown well.

"The well is almost dead," spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said. "Under no circumstances are we going to allow them to reopen the well to extract oil and gas."

The static kill started Tuesday with engineers pumping enough mud down the top of the well to push the crude back to its underground source. Suttles said engineers plan to monitor the cement newly pumped in from the top and hope to test the plug with a burst of pressure Friday afternoon to make sure it's sealed.

"All the indications so far look very encouraging," he said.

A federal report this week indicated that only about a quarter of the spilled crude remains in the Gulf and is degrading quickly.

"There's essentially no skimmable oil left on the surface, no recoverable oil left on the surface," Suttles said.

Some scientists disputed the report's veracity, and much of the remaining crude has permeated deep into marshes and wetlands, complicating cleanup.

BP had 31,000 workers along the Gulf on Friday, down from 48,000 at the height of the response, Suttles said.

As BP brought in 33-year employee Utsler to take over the response and the blown well appeared to have flatlined, some Gulf residents who still see the oil wreaking havoc worried the nation's attention was shifting.

Utsler told them not to worry, saying the spill's effects are "a challenge that we continue to recognize with more than 20,000-plus people continuing to work."

Willie Davis, a 41-year-old harbormaster in Pass Christian, Miss., feared his area would be forgotten if BP pulls out too soon.

"I'm losing trust in the whole system," said Willie Davis, a 41-year-old harbormaster in Pass Christian, Miss. "If they don't get up off their behinds and do something now, it's gonna be years before we're back whole again."

___

Contributing to this report were Associated Press writers Jason Dearen in Pass-A-Loutre, La., Jennifer Kay in Pensacola Beach, Fla., Brian Skoloff in Pass Christian, Miss., Jeffrey Collins and Jeff McMillan in New Orleans, Jay Reeves in Birmingham, Ala., and Matthew Daly in Washington.

 

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • AP Interview: Phelps has 'no desire' to return to swimming

    AP Interview: Phelps has 'no desire' to return to swimming

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 6:47 AM EDT2017-09-20 10:47:37 GMT
    AP Interview: Michael Phelps says he has 'no desire' to return to competitive swimming" but eager to those who follow in his enormous wake. 
    AP Interview: Michael Phelps says he has 'no desire' to return to competitive swimming" but eager to those who follow in his enormous wake. 
  • Chula Vista officer shoots attacker who charged with knife, both hospitalized

    Chula Vista officer shoots attacker who charged with knife, both hospitalized

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 3:18 AM EDT2017-09-20 07:18:10 GMT

    SAN DIEGO (NEWS 8) - At least two people were taken to area hospitals after a dispute between neighbors in Chula Vista led to gunfire. Chula Vista Police Department officers responded to the incident near Monterey Avene and E. J Street. in Chula Vista at around 10:28 p.m. One victim was taken to UCSD Medical Center and another was taken to Scripps Mercy Hospital. Check back for updates on this breaking news story.

     

    SAN DIEGO (NEWS 8) - At least two people were taken to area hospitals after a dispute between neighbors in Chula Vista led to gunfire. Chula Vista Police Department officers responded to the incident near Monterey Avene and E. J Street. in Chula Vista at around 10:28 p.m. One victim was taken to UCSD Medical Center and another was taken to Scripps Mercy Hospital. Check back for updates on this breaking news story.

     
  • Coronado City Council backs IB's lawsuit against IWBC without joining lawsuit

    Coronado City Council backs IB's lawsuit against IWBC without joining lawsuit

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 2:54 AM EDT2017-09-20 06:54:06 GMT

    Coronado won't be joining Imperial Beach in its federal lawsuit against the International Water and Boundary Commission, but it will assist its coastal neighbor with legal fees and lobbying with the federal government.

     

    Coronado won't be joining Imperial Beach in its federal lawsuit against the International Water and Boundary Commission, but it will assist its coastal neighbor with legal fees and lobbying with the federal government.

     
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.