Lindsay Lohan spends less than a day in LA jail - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Lindsay Lohan spends less than a day in LA jail

Posted: Updated:
Lindsay Lohan arrives for a hearing at the Beverly Hills Courthouse in Beverly Hills, Calif., Friday, Sept. 24, 2010. (AP Photo/Nick Ut) Lindsay Lohan arrives for a hearing at the Beverly Hills Courthouse in Beverly Hills, Calif., Friday, Sept. 24, 2010. (AP Photo/Nick Ut)

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lindsay Lohan was freed from a suburban Los Angeles jail late Friday night, well short of the nearly monthlong stay a judge had intended for the actress following a failed drug test.

Lohan was released at about 11:40 p.m. after posting $300,000 bail, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whitmore said early Saturday.

Celebrity website TMZ.com reported her release just before midnight.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Elden Fox had ordered Lohan held without bail during a brief hearing Friday morning, But his ruling later was overturned after the "Mean Girls" star's attorney, Shawn Chapman Holley, filed a late-afternoon appeal seeking bail.

Judge Patricia Schnegg, who is an assistant supervising judge of LA's criminal courts, issued a ruling shortly before 6 p.m., saying that since the starlet had been convicted of misdemeanors, she was entitled to bail.

The actress is not entirely free. She will be required to wear an ankle alcohol monitor and stay away from establishments that primarily sell alcohol.

She is also due back in court on Oct. 22, when the judge who curtly sent her to jail will decide what her punishment will be for failing a drug test roughly two weeks after he released her early from rehab.

At that hearing, Fox will formally determine whether Lohan, 24, violated her probation by failing a court-mandated drug test. The positive result came after the judge released Lohan early from inpatient rehab at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

Fox did not say why he had ordered no bail for the actress Friday morning, or state what drug appeared in her system during the recent test.

Friday marked the third time Lohan has been sent to jail in a three-year-old drug and drunken driving case. She spent 84 minutes at the jail in 2007 and 14 days of a three-month sentence earlier this summer.

After news of her positive drug test broke last week, Lohan seemed to acknowledge an addiction problem on her Twitter feed.

"Substance abuse is a disease, which unfortunately doesn't go away over night," Lohan posted on Twitter on Sept. 17. "This is certainly a setback for me but I am taking responsibility for my actions and I'm prepared to face the consequences."

Fox had laid out a strict 67-day course of counseling, substance abuse meetings, monitoring and drug testing for Lohan in August. He asked probation officials on Friday to report how the actress had progressed on the treatment programs before Lohan's next court hearing.

The judge has said Lohan would be sent to jail for 30 days for each drug screening she skipped or failed and appeared to make good on the promise with his no bail order.

If he sentences her to jail in October, the amount of time he orders her to serve would be whittled down because of jail overcrowding and various credits.

Despite her release Friday, Lohan's continued court troubles have cast a pall over her career. She has been slated to star as Linda Lovelace in a biopic about the porn star, but the production schedule already was altered when Lohan was sent to jail in July.

In an e-mail sent before Lohan was granted bail, Matthew Wilder, the writer-director of the film titled "Inferno," said the film's producers "want her to do well." He did not address whether Lohan's role would be recast or the film further delayed.

___

AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen contributed to this report.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.

  • Entertainment NewsEntertainment NewsMore>>

  • Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head

    Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head

    Friday, April 20 2018 3:13 AM EDT2018-04-20 07:13:44 GMT
    (Yui Mok/Pool via AP). Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prime Minister Theresa May, left, attend the formal opening of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in the ballroom at Buckingham Palace in London, Thursday April 19, 2018.(Yui Mok/Pool via AP). Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prime Minister Theresa May, left, attend the formal opening of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in the ballroom at Buckingham Palace in London, Thursday April 19, 2018.
    Queen Elizabeth II has opened a summit of the 53-nation Commonwealth, and backed her son Prince Charles to be the next leader of the association of Britain and its former colonies. 
    Queen Elizabeth II has opened a summit of the 53-nation Commonwealth, and backed her son Prince Charles to be the next leader of the association of Britain and its former colonies. 
  • Women take fall in Nobel scandal for man's alleged misdeeds

    Women take fall in Nobel scandal for man's alleged misdeeds

    Friday, April 20 2018 3:13 AM EDT2018-04-20 07:13:06 GMT
    Another woman wants to resign from the Swedish Academy awarding the Nobel Literature Prize, bringing the total number of board members who have quit to eight. 
    Another woman wants to resign from the Swedish Academy awarding the Nobel Literature Prize, bringing the total number of board members who have quit to eight. 
  • Files show rising alarm in Prince's circle as health failed

    Files show rising alarm in Prince's circle as health failed

    Friday, April 20 2018 2:20 AM EDT2018-04-20 06:20:48 GMT
    (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File). FILE - In this Feb. 4, 2007 file photo, Prince performs during halftime of the Super Bowl XLI football game in Miami. Minnesota prosecutors are planning an announcement Thursday, April 19, 2018, in their two-year investi...(AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File). FILE - In this Feb. 4, 2007 file photo, Prince performs during halftime of the Super Bowl XLI football game in Miami. Minnesota prosecutors are planning an announcement Thursday, April 19, 2018, in their two-year investi...
    A two-year probe into the overdose death of music superstar Prince is reaching a critical stage as a county prosecutor reveals whether criminal charges will be filed. 
    A two-year probe into the overdose death of music superstar Prince is reaching a critical stage as a county prosecutor reveals whether criminal charges will be filed. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.