Contador submits defense documents in doping case - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Contador submits defense documents in doping case

Posted: Updated:
Cyclist Alberto Contador of Spain, left, waves after the Criterium cycling race next to Ivan Basso of Italy in Oviedo, Spain, Saturday Oct. 30, 2010.  (AP) Cyclist Alberto Contador of Spain, left, waves after the Criterium cycling race next to Ivan Basso of Italy in Oviedo, Spain, Saturday Oct. 30, 2010. (AP)

MADRID (AP) — Alberto Contador has submitted his official defense for a failed Tour de France doping test, giving the Spanish cycling federation documents he claims will show contaminated meat was to blame.

Contador spokesman Jacinto Vidarte told The Associated Press on Friday that Contador accompanied his lawyers to the federation's headquarters to hand over the necessary documentation.

The 27-year-old Spanish cyclist risks losing this year's Tour title and could face a two-year ban if found guilty of using clenbuterol, a banned muscle-building and weight-loss steroid.

Contador says beef bought from Spanish border town Irun caused the failed July 21 test.

The federation's disciplinary committee had opened the case earlier this month.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.

  • SportsMore>>

  • Molinari survives wild day to win British Open

    Molinari survives wild day to win British Open

    Sunday, July 22 2018 3:09 PM EDT2018-07-22 19:09:41 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 4:30 PM EDT2018-07-22 20:30:24 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jon Super). Francesco Molinari of Italy holds the trophy after winning the British Open Golf Championship in Carnoustie, Scotland, Sunday July 22, 2018.(AP Photo/Jon Super). Francesco Molinari of Italy holds the trophy after winning the British Open Golf Championship in Carnoustie, Scotland, Sunday July 22, 2018.
    Francesco Molinari outplays Tiger Woods, Jordan Spieth and everyone else to claim the British Open. 
    Francesco Molinari outplays Tiger Woods, Jordan Spieth and everyone else to claim the British Open. 
  • Spieth part of 3-way tie for British lead as Woods lurks

    Spieth part of 3-way tie for British lead as Woods lurks

    Saturday, July 21 2018 4:10 PM EDT2018-07-21 20:10:41 GMT
    Tiger Woods of the US lines up a putt on the 13th green during the third round of the British Open Golf Championship in Carnoustie, Scotland, Saturday July 21, 2018. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)Tiger Woods of the US lines up a putt on the 13th green during the third round of the British Open Golf Championship in Carnoustie, Scotland, Saturday July 21, 2018. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)

    Jordan Spieth set the tone pulling driver on the 396-yard opening hole and sending it bouncing and rolling to 10 feet for eagle. Moments later, Tiger Woods sent the gallery into a frenzy with three straight birdies to get into contention at a major for the first time in five years.

     

    Jordan Spieth set the tone pulling driver on the 396-yard opening hole and sending it bouncing and rolling to 10 feet for eagle. Moments later, Tiger Woods sent the gallery into a frenzy with three straight birdies to get into contention at a major for the first time in five years.

     
  • AP source: Falcons won't offer WR Jones new deal this year

    AP source: Falcons won't offer WR Jones new deal this year

    Thursday, July 19 2018 1:23 PM EDT2018-07-19 17:23:25 GMT
    Friday, July 20 2018 11:19 AM EDT2018-07-20 15:19:12 GMT
    (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File). FILE - In this Nov. 26, 2017, file photo, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones walks off the field after an NFL football game between the Falcons and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in Atlanta. A person familiar with the ...(AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File). FILE - In this Nov. 26, 2017, file photo, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones walks off the field after an NFL football game between the Falcons and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in Atlanta. A person familiar with the ...
    AP source: Atlanta Falcons won't offer a new contract to star receiver Julio Jones. 
    AP source: Atlanta Falcons won't offer a new contract to star receiver Julio Jones. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.