T.R. Knight, Brendan Fraser bow out on Broadway - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

T.R. Knight, Brendan Fraser bow out on Broadway

Posted: Updated:
In this undated theater publicity image released by Aurora Productions, Denis O'Hare, left, and Brendan Fraser are shown in a scene from the Broadway production of 'Elling' in New York. In this undated theater publicity image released by Aurora Productions, Denis O'Hare, left, and Brendan Fraser are shown in a scene from the Broadway production of 'Elling' in New York.

NEW YORK (AP) – T.R. Knight, Brendan Fraser, Patrick Stewart, David Hyde Pierce and Mark Rylance are among the high-profile actors whose Broadway season has ended rather abruptly.

Those are the early casualties after poor box-office results, weak reviews or a combination of both shortened the runs of the plays "Elling," "La Bete" and "A Life in the Theatre."

The fastest failure was "Elling," a play about two recently released mental patients in Norway that marked Fraser's Broadway debut. It opened last Sunday and had hoped to run until March, but will now will close on Sunday after just 22 previews and nine regular performances.

Co-starring Tony Award-winner Denis O'Hare, who was largely praised for his performance, "Elling" was widely considered to be too intimate a play for a big Broadway theater. It made only about $145,000 during eight performances last week, well short of its $882,000 potential.

"What a world what a world," O'Hare tweeted after the Thanksgiving Day parade in New York. "Got to be on CBS for the parade and oh, they are shutting down the play. One door shut, another window opens."

The revival of "La Bete," starring Rylance, Joanna Lumley and Pierce, as well as David Mamet's "A Life in the Theatre," with Stewart and Knight, have also not done well financially this season on Broadway.

"Life" will close Sunday, well short of its original Jan. 2 intended end. The Neil Pepe-directed play, which focuses on the relationship between two thespians over the course of several dozen small scenes, was considered well acted but too light and insubstantial a work.

And "La Bete" will close Jan. 9 after struggling through about 100 regular performances, despite critical acclaim for Tony winner Rylance and his astonishing 20-minute soliloquy in Act 1. The revival will have lasted only a little longer than the 25 performances it played on Broadway when it first debuted in 1991.

The theaters for "La Bete" and "Life" were both less than half-filled last week.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

  • Entertainment NewsEntertainment NewsMore>>

  • Trump calls sketch released by Daniels 'a total con job'

    Trump calls sketch released by Daniels 'a total con job'

    Thursday, April 19 2018 8:04 AM EDT2018-04-19 12:04:57 GMT
    (Michael Avenatti via AP). This artist's drawing released by attorney Michael Avenatti, purports to show the man that the adult film actress Stormy Daniels says threatened her in a Las Vegas parking lot in 2011 to remain quiet about her affair with Pre...(Michael Avenatti via AP). This artist's drawing released by attorney Michael Avenatti, purports to show the man that the adult film actress Stormy Daniels says threatened her in a Las Vegas parking lot in 2011 to remain quiet about her affair with Pre...
    Trump says a porn actress is pulling "a total con job" by promoting an artist's sketch of a man she says threatened her to keep silent. 
    Trump says a porn actress is pulling "a total con job" by promoting an artist's sketch of a man she says threatened her to keep silent. 
  • Ice Cube Had to Bring His Ex-Girlfriend to Prom

    Ice Cube Had to Bring His Ex-Girlfriend to Prom

    Thursday, April 19 2018 2:20 AM EDT2018-04-19 06:20:15 GMT

    Ice Cube recalls his first car, an old Volkswagen bug with a broken gasoline gauge, and recalls the day it ran out of fuel before prom - the same prom he was forced to bring his ex-girlfriend as his date.

     

    Ice Cube recalls his first car, an old Volkswagen bug with a broken gasoline gauge, and recalls the day it ran out of fuel before prom - the same prom he was forced to bring his ex-girlfriend as his date.

     
  • Theron's not leaving the US due to racism but is concerned

    Theron's not leaving the US due to racism but is concerned

    Thursday, April 19 2018 1:44 AM EDT2018-04-19 05:44:32 GMT
    (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this March 6, 2018 file photo, Charlize Theron arrives at the Los Angeles premiere of "Gringo" at Regal L.A. Live.   Theron was quoted in an Elle magazine interview published last week saying that ...(Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this March 6, 2018 file photo, Charlize Theron arrives at the Los Angeles premiere of "Gringo" at Regal L.A. Live. Theron was quoted in an Elle magazine interview published last week saying that ...
    Charlize Theron says she's not leaving the United States over concern about racism and her black children. 
    Charlize Theron says she's not leaving the United States over concern about racism and her black children. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.