Escondido 'bomb factory' to be burned down - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Escondido 'bomb factory' to be burned down

Posted: Updated:

SAN MARCOS (CNS/ CBS8) - An Escondido home full of explosives will be burned down after crews build a protective retaining wall around the property, according to officials who hosted a community meeting Tuesday night on how they plan to deal with the hazard.

Local, state and federal experts fielded questions from the public during a town hall meeting thrown to discuss the disposal of a massive cache of explosives found earlier this month at a home in an unincorporated section of Escondido.

The 7 p.m. meeting was held in the multi-purpose room at Woodland Park Middle School at 1270 Rock Springs Road in San Marcos. The room has space for about 700 people, said Melissa Aquino, a spokeswoman for the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

The experts included representatives from local fire, sheriff and police departments, the FBI and the San Diego County Office of Emergency Services, along with ones from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Aquino said the panel was expected to discuss the disposal of explosives found at 1954 Via Scott on Nov. 18.

Authorities went to the home after a gardener, Mario Garcia, 49, of Fallbrook, was injured when he stepped on something akin to a mine in the home's yard. The home's resident, George Jakubec, 54, was arrested later the same day.

Authorities said they found nine pounds of explosive materials sometimes used by terrorists, including a large amount of hexamethylene triperoxide diamine, or HMTD.

Jakubec has since pleaded not guilty to 26 felony counts involving possessing destructive devices, along with two charges of bank robbery, and is being held on $5 million bail.

During his first court appearance last week, Jakubec was accused of having the largest cache of homemade explosive compounds ever found in one spot on U.S. soil. The prosecution said the intentions of Jakubec, a naturalized U.S. citizen, are being investigated.

So far, explosive experts have disposed of some of the explosives by burying them in the ground and detonating them, shutting down part of Interstate 15 for about three hours for motorists' safety.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.