Man accused of possessing firearms, fireworks pleads not guilty - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Man accused of possessing firearms, fireworks pleads not guilty

Posted: Updated:
  • RelatedMore>>

  • Explosives, fireworks found at another Escondido property

    Explosives, fireworks found at another Escondido property

    Monday, November 29 2010 8:45 PM EST2010-11-30 01:45:40 GMT
    Another Escondido man was arrested Sunday on suspicion of making explosive devices, but the arrest appears to be unrelated to the "bomb factory" discovered last week at another Escondido home, a police lieutenant said. 
    Another Escondido man was arrested Sunday on suspicion of making explosive devices, but the arrest appears to be unrelated to the "bomb factory" discovered last week at another Escondido home, a police lieutenant said. 

VISTA (CNS) - A 45-year-old man accused of possessing explosives and converting fireworks into illegal bombs in his Escondido home pleaded not guilty Tuesday to 16 felony charges and one misdemeanor count.

Richard Hinkel -- who appeared in court after making $25,000 bail -- had his bail increased to $125,000 by Vista Judge Marshall Hockett and was taken back into custody.

The defendant was charged with multiple counts of possession of a destructive device and a misdemeanor count of having fireworks stored without a permit.

Hinkel was originally arrested about 5 a.m. on Nov. 28 when officers found him screaming in the backyard of his home in the 2300 block of Country View Glen, said Escondido police Lt. Craig Carter.

When police arrived, they found 18 explosive devices, 12 rifles, 10 handguns and fireworks on Hinkel's property, Carter said.

The Bomb/Arson Unit from the San Diego County Sheriff's Department confiscated the explosive materials and guns, Carter said.

Hinkel's attorney told the judge today that the bombs were housed in plastic or PVC, but Deputy District Attorney Terri Perez argued that there was no legitimate reason to have them other than to blow something up.

The defendant faces a sentence ranging from probation to 16 years in prison if he's convicted, the prosecutor said.

Authorities said Hinkel's arrest appeared to be unrelated to the "bomb factory" discovered Nov. 18 at the rented Escondido home of George Jakubec.

Jakubec faces eight federal charges of making and possessing destructive devices and is being held without bail.

Authorities plan to burn the home down on Thursday, weather permitting.

 

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.