Electrical fire at SDG&E substation burns itself out - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Electrical fire at SDG&E substation burns itself out

Posted: Updated:

ESCONDIDO (CNS) - A stubborn fire sparked when an electrical transformer exploded at a North County utility substation continued to burn for a second day Thursday, until crews ultimately were able to suffocate the flames with a chemical foam.

The non-injury blaze at the San Diego Gas & Electric facility in the 500 block of Enterprise Street in Escondido erupted shortly after noon Wednesday.

About an hour later, city officials used a reverse 911 system to urge residents within a mile of the heavily smoky fire to limit their time outdoors in the area as much as possible as a health precaution.

Crews initially tried to let the blaze, which was was burning in a roughly 30- by-30-foot area, burn itself out. Late Wednesday evening, they tried in vain to extinguish it with foam.

The blaze kept burning until firefighters attacked it once again with the chemical suppressant this afternoon. The effort finally succeeded shortly before 2:30 p.m., police Lt. Craig Carter said.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.