SAN DIEGO (CNS) - The city's Balboa Park Committee will solicit public comment on a plan to ban vehicles from the park's Plaza de Panama during a 9 a.m. meeting Saturday.
The Park and Recreation Board committee will meet at the Balboa Park Club to discuss a privately funded, $33 million project to make the plaza north of the Spreckels Organ Pavilion more pedestrian friendly.
Philanthropist and former Qualcomm chief executive Irwin Jacobs headed the fundraising effort.
The plan calls for traffic to be diverted from the Cabrillo Bridge around the Museum of Man, and for construction of an underground parking garage, with a rooftop garden, behind the organ pavilion.
Bruce Coons, of the Save Our Heritage Organisation, supports the proposed ban on cars, but said the current plan "is extremely destructive and would forever alter the iconic Cabrillo Bridge and the historic landscape, and would hide the most important character-defining features of the front entrance to this National Register district."
Coons said the plan is at odds with the Interior Department's standards for historic properties, because it would alter the entrance. Most preservation organizations are against the proposal, he said.
Plaza de Panama, along with many of Balboa Park's architectural center pieces, was built for the 1915 Panama-California Exposition, but since the 1960s has primarily been used as a parking lot.
Mayor Jerry Sanders said the plaza was designed as a gathering place for park visitors and a hub of cultural activities, but was converted into a few dozen parking spaces.
He hopes to have the project completed in time for the 2015 centennial celebration of the Panama-California Exposition.
Flames engulfed the garage of a home Wednesday morning in Encanto, displacing two residents and destroying at least two cars, authorities said.
City workers returned to the San Diego River Wednesday morning to commence a massive riverbed restoration project led by the Mayor.
Hand crews digging a perimeter of containment around the 4,100-acre burn area of the Lilac Fire continued to make progress Tuesday in their efforts to make sure the once-roaring blaze cannot come to life again.
San Diego County's run of warm, dry weather will continue Monday, but without the threat of Santa Ana winds whipping up a wildfire.
Hundreds of deserving San Diego kids got into the spirit of the holidays as San Diego pro-athletes helped them pick gifts for their loved ones as part of the Junior Seau Foundation’s 23rd annual Shop with a Jock event.
Sheriff’s Deputies have been accused of being slow to break up a violent brawl that broke out at a border wall rally in Otay Mesa over the weekend.
The City Council Tuesday night failed again to approve regulations governing short-term vacation rentals in San Diego, a thorny issue that also defied previous attempts at creating regulations.
The Rancho Coastal Humane Society is hoping to make Christmas extra special for some San Diego families this year by putting in a call to Santa Paws to make some adorable deliveries.
An Oceanside firefighter told News 8 the story about how he was injured during the Lilac Fire. Witnesses said he was thrown 20 feet into the street when a propane tank exploded. Jason Baker is on medical leave waiting for the results of an MRI on his shoulder, but plans to be back on the front lines in the coming days.
New efforts are underway in the search for six horses who disappeared during the Lilac Fire last week.