Escondido bomb house site is safe to reoccupy - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Escondido bomb house site is safe to reoccupy

Posted: Updated:

ESCONDIDO, Calif. (AP) — San Diego County officials say it's safe to rebuild at the site where a house filled with bomb-making chemicals was burned to the ground.

The North County Times says officials on Thursday released results of air and soil testing at the Escondido-area home. They showed the burning didn't contaminate the area.

The home was destroyed last month after authorities said it was too dangerous to remove the unstable chemicals stacked there. They were found after a gardener stepped on explosive residue and was injured.

The home's tenant, George Jakubec, has pleaded not guilty to bank robbery and making destructive devices.

The homeowner has filed a claim with the county seeking at least $500,000 for the loss and owner's distress.

___

Information from: North County Times

 

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.