SAN DIEGO (CNS) - An Encinitas man who defrauded 30 people - mostly friends and family members - out of nearly $7 million through a 10-year investment scam was sentenced Friday to five years in federal prison.
Scott Bottolfson, 56, pleaded guilty last Nov. 30 to a single count of wire fraud. He apologized to his victims in a hearing today before U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Miller.
"I take full responsibility," the defendant said. "I have a deep sorrow for the hurt and pain that I have caused."
Bottolfson's attorney, Michael Lipman, said his client stole from two elderly sisters, his brother-in-law and mother-in-law, among others.
"It's almost incomprehensible to me," the defense attorney said. "What he did was despicable. He took their money and lived a nice lifestyle."
Miller said the fraud caused guilt and shame to many of the victims.
"The fraud has crushed dreams...depleted the retirement funds of several," the judge said.
Miller said the psychological damage done to some victims was "haunting."
"These are the type of harms that don't go away," Miller said.
The judge called the circumstances of the crime "aggravated, damaging, and fairly heinous."
He ordered Bottolfson to pay $6.8 million in restitution, but victims can expect to get back maybe 10 percent of what they lost, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher Tenorio.
Ray Watson, who lost the most to Bottolfson - more than $3.4 million over 18 months - said the defendant offered to help him invest money that he got from the sale of a business and assured him there was no risk.
Watson, a 45-year-old cancer survivor, said he had a stress-induced heart attack as a result of losing millions of dollars to Bottolfson.
"I don't think anybody's rich after dealing with Scott," Watson said. "If he is sentenced to a long term in prison, that would be the beginning of my healing."
After pronouncing sentence, Miller read a list of all Bottolfson's victims and how much money they lost. The judge ordered Bottolfson to surrender on or before March 25.
There has been an outpouring of support for a young military couple who fell victim to a rental scam. Generous News 8 viewers stepped in to help after News 8’s report on Madison and Sam Harrison aired Wednesday night.
Each week, the News 8 Crimefighters help authorities in looking for fugitives in San Diego. This week’s fugitive is: Michael Borja
25 years ago on Thursday the Northridge earthquake devastated parts of the San Fernando valley. Dozens were killed when the powerful quake hit. News 8's Shannon Handy took a look back at our reporting from the tragic day and reports on what a local expert is saying about San Diego’s current infrastructure.
The last in a series of Southern California storms kept the San Diego area blustery and rainy once again Thursday, further drenching the already saturated region.
Big acts of kindness can come from small places. In Thursday's Zevely Zone, Jeff is in Rancho Bernardo to meet one amazing kid - 4-year-old Akshaya who won an award for her kindness!
11-year-old Katelyn Abigania from Encanto has been named a National Junior Champion in the sport of youth bowling. News 8’s John Howard caught up with Katelyn about her love for the sport and spoke with her coach Barry Brown. John also made the mistake of challenging Katelyn to a game of bowling. Want to guess who won?
Far too often the Coronado bridge is used by people to end their own life, but a new plan could help save lives.
Thousands more migrant children may have been split from their families than the Trump administration previously reported, in part because officials were stepping up family separations long before the border policy that prompted international outrage last spring, a government watchdog said Thursday.