SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A man scuba-diving off a charter boat in the ocean near La Jolla went missing Monday, prompting a sea and air search that ended about an hour later when the occupants of a private vessel found him paddling in the swells, unharmed.
The 55-year-old man was reported overdue in returning to the commercial vessel following a group dive shortly after 1:30 p.m., roughly 90 minutes after he entered the ocean, San Diego lifeguard Lt. Andy Lerum said.
Lifeguard divers searched the waters around the charter craft, which was anchored about a mile west of Bird Rock, and the U.S. Coast Guard sent a boat and a helicopter crew to aid in the search.
Authorities got word about 2:40 p.m. that the man, whose name was not released, had been picked up by civilian boaters and was in good health, said Maurice Luque, a spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
It was unclear how the diver got separated from his companions and the charter boat.
On Sunday, the federal maritime agency called off a search for a 54-year-old swimmer who disappeared in the same general area.
James Repetto of Massachusetts went missing Saturday afternoon after setting out by himself on a swim from Scripps Pier to La Jolla Shores and back.
A 20-hour search by sea, air and land turned up no sign of Repetto, and the Coast Guard suspended the effort in the mid-afternoon Sunday.
At the time of his disappearance, Repetto was awaiting sentencing in his home state in connection with a kickback scheme that defrauded a fruit-juice company and netted him and a co-defendant about $1.3 million, according to federal prosecutors.
A transient was behind bars Tuesday on suspicion of fatally stabbing two other homeless men last week at an Otay Mesa strip mall.
San Diego County emergency and fire officials are urging residents to protect homes against devastating wildfires as fire season kicks into full gear.
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held Tuesday to celebrate the opening of a joint-use park at McKinley Elementary.
A vote is expected Tuesday as the Del Mar Fair Board considers transforming the Surf Side Race Place into a new indoor entertainment venue.
The San Diego City Council Tuesday formally approved a $225,000 settlement in litigation brought by a deputy city attorney, who alleged sexual harassment by her former supervisor.
The Gate Fire, which has burned about 2,056 acres northwest of Dulzura, was 95 percent contained Monday. Cal Fire also reported that all evacuation orders and warnings were lifted in the fire area.
The Gate Fire northwest of Dulzura has been fully contained. Cal Fire says its crews will remain on scene Tuesday mopping up and guarding against flareups.
The North County Transit District (NCTD) has voted to lay off its enforcement officers that patrol local train and bus stations.