SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A 58-year-old Talmadge resident was found dead in her charred apartment Wednesday, apparently more than a day after a smoldering fire filled the residence with extreme heat and heavy smoke.
Emergency crews responding to a report of a possible death in the 4412 block of Menlo Avenue found the body of the woman on her kitchen floor, next to a broken drinking glass, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
Investigators determined that the resident had accidentally set the blaze with a dropped cigarette, possibly after falling asleep on her sofa, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said.
The fire evidently smoldered extensively and caused enough heat to char and melt items in the apartment, but it eventually went out on its own without ever erupting into heavy flames, according to Luque.
Late Monday evening or early Tuesday morning, residents of the complex reported a burning smell to an apartment manager, who in turn notified the police. Officers checked out the building but found no sign of a fire or electrical short.
The deceased woman, whose name was withheld pending notification of her family, lived alone, Luque said.
The wife of a San Diego police officer accused of domestic violence is standing by her husband and thinks SDPD should do the same.