EL CAJON (CNS) - A 32-year-old man accused of stabbing another man to death at a home in Spring Valley last week pleaded not guilty Monday to murder charges.
Hector Ivan Hernandez-Romero was ordered held in lieu of $2.5 million bail.
Romero allegedly went unannounced to a Spring Valley residence in the 700 block of Sacramento Avenue about 8:10 p.m. Wednesday and argued with the victim, 30-year-old Roque Varela, before stabbing him with a knife.
Sheriff's homicide Lt. Dennis Brugos said Varela was visiting someone at the Sacramento Avenue address at the time.
The victim died in a hospital about a half-hour after the stabbing, according to Brugos.
About 5:50 a.m. the next day, Romero was arrested at a residence in the 3200 block of Central Avenue in Spring Valley.
Romero faces 26 years to life in prison if convicted of murder and the use of a knife, said Deputy District Attorney Heather Trocha.
The defendant will be back in court April 1 for a readiness conference and April 4 for a preliminary hearing.
A 16-year-old boy was allegedly drunk when he crashed his car into a stopped vehicle, pinning a motorist between two bumpers, police said Sunday.
San Diego and other areas of Southern California may get significant rain this week, according to the National Weather Service.
Two people were killed in head-on crash, as the driver of a stolen car sped away from deputies and veered into oncoming traffic near Pauma Valley Sunday.
A man was shot and killed by police at an officer- involved shooting in Escondido, a sheriff's lieutenant said Sunday.
A 27-year-old man suffered fatal injuries as the result of a "punching game'' inside of a bar Saturday morning in the Gaslamp
neighborhood of San Diego.
A large plume of smoke filled the sky in Miramar on Saturday morning after a concrete supply building went up in flames.
SANDAG began removing call boxes along urban highways throughout the San Diego region this month and will continue to do so through June, reflecting a decrease in call volume due to the increase in cell phone ownership.
Authorities today announced that police have arrested a suspect in connection with Friday's sexual assault on the campus of San Diego Mesa College. The name of the suspect was not immediately released.
Police Chief David Nisleit Friday strongly disavowed what he described as an unofficial, "never authorized" departmental program that rewarded officers for making narcotics arrests.