EL CAJON (CNS) - A transient accused of maliciously setting two small brush fires near Interstate 8 and Los Coches Road last summer must stand trial on arson charges, a judge ruled Wednesday.
Eloy Bazan, 50, allegedly set the blazes on July 28 and 29, and is charged with two counts of felony arson and one count of possession of an incendiary device.
Crews were able to keep both fires from growing into major threats, and the flames caused no structural damage or injuries.
A witness reported seeing a flare over the freeway just prior to the start of the second fire, and investigators linked the remnants of the pyrotechnic signaling device to a flare gun that was in Bazan's possession, Cal Fire Battalion Chief Nick Schuler said.
Judge Herbert Exarhos, who presided over the preliminary hearing, found that enough evidence had been presented for the case against Bazan to proceed.
A June 13 trial date was set for Bazan, who faces seven years and eight months in prison if convicted, said Deputy District Attorney Samantha Begovich.
Students and community members in San Diego County plan to march for gun control this weekend as part of a nationwide "March for Our Lives."
A stabbing outside a Costco store in Carlsbad Friday left one person seriously injured and an acquaintance of the victim's in custody on suspicion of attempted murder.
Congress gave President Donald Trump the $1.6 billion he wanted this year for his proposed "big, beautiful" border wall with Mexico but the headline number masks what he didn't get on one of his signature campaign promises.
Annual data from San Diego county medical services show an alarming number of local underage drinking deaths.
A man accused of killing his girlfriend -- a mother of two -- in the apartment they shared in the Mountain View neighborhood of San Diego must stand trial on murder and misdemeanor child endangerment charges, a judge ruled Friday.
The San Diego County unemployment rate dropped by a tenth of a percent to 3.5 percent in February amid "better-than-average" growth, according to data released Friday by the state Employment Development Department.
School shootings, for good reason, make news. Most make national news. Some even make international news.
Sheriff's detectives were conducting a follow-up investigation Friday after determining that a pair of bomb threats made against two North County high schools late Thursday night was likely part of a "swatting" hoax, authorities said.
After weeks of school threats countywide, local leaders are announcing a plan of action to put a stop to it.