SAN DIEGO (CNS) - The City Council gave final approval Monday to the location of a temporary winter homeless shelter, despite the objection of the councilman who represents the area.
On a 7-1 vote, the council decided to put the shelter on an open lot in Barrio Logan, at Newton Avenue at 16th Street, close to where it was last winter.
Councilman David Alvarez, who represents the neighborhood, said the shelter will be in his district for the ninth time in 11 years.
"The truth is no other neighborhood in this city would accept the homeless shelter and we all know it," said Alvarez, who cast the lone dissenting vote. "Sometimes I think you have to say `no' to be heard."
He said city officials for too long have considered Barrio Logan residents to be "expendable."
Councilwoman Sherri Lightner told Alvarez that if he found an alternative, he could present it and ask for reconsideration, if there is enough time.
The San Diego Housing Commission, which administers the winter shelter program, studied a number of other locations but found the only other one to meet minimum standards was a parking lot in the East Village that is slated to become a park.
Council members wanted to pick a location quickly for the facility, which is scheduled to be run from Nov. 18 to March 20, to avoid what has annually been a last-minute frenzy to fix a site, while overcoming opposition by neighbors.
The San Diego Police Department reported that crime actually went down while the shelter was operating in a nearby building that is going to be renovated into a school, necessitating the site change.
City officials hope it will be the last winter shelter they need to run, because a downtown building scheduled for renovation is slated to become a permanent homeless facility.
The council also approved a winter shelter for homeless military veterans, operated by Veterans Village of San Diego, at its usual site off Pacific Highway in Loma Portal.
Harvest for Hope aims to raise money for low-income, underprivileged families whose children are battling cancer.
The co-creators and stars of Beyond Babel are husband and wife pair from Carlsbad, Keone and Mari Madrid.
San Diego officials and residents will hold commemorative events around the county Tuesday on the 40th anniversary of the Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 182 crash.
The 14th Annual San Diego Restaurant Week returns Sunday, September 23rd, through Sunday, September 30th, for an edible extravaganza to start your fall season!
The latest round of tainted ground beef due to possible E. coli contamination was possibly sold at Safeway, Target, and Sam's Club stores nationwide, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
September 25, 1978 is a date imprinted in the memories of many San Diegans. Those that lived here – and elsewhere – remember the shocking images of plane wreckage on fire and homes ablaze following the crash of PSA Flight 182, which was 40 years ago Tuesday.
Last week, News 8 introduced you to Jeffrey Dilallo, the owner of El Cajon’s The Grand who banned certain motorcycle clubs he said violated his ‘no weapons’ policy.
The family of a surfer from Carlsbad who went missing in Mexico is holding out hope that he will be found safe.