SAN DIEGO (CNS/CBS 8) - A smoldering cigarette caused a fire at Emerald Hills residence Saturday that killed an elderly woman and her son.
Junko Torrey and her son, Dwight were killed by the fast moving fire, which broke out around 2:30 Saturday morning on Kelton Road.
Approximately 25 firefighters were sent to the blaze at 2:36 a.m. in the 1300 block of Kelton Road, near Roswell Street, according to Maurice Luque, spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
Firefighters arrived to find the house engulfed in flames, but were able to subdue the blaze within 16 minutes, Luque said. The subsequent search of the hulk uncovered the two victims, who were taken to an area hospital, where both were pronounced dead.
The blaze caused $350,000 in damage to the residence and $150,000 in damage to the contents inside, Luque said.
Firefighters say smoldering cigarettes are one of the leading causes of residential fires they have.
San Diegans got a chance to hear from the Public Utilities Department about concerns about their soaring water bills Wednesday evening.
The swap meet is a bargain hunter's paradise, but how do 'do-it-yourselfers' refurbish and sometimes resell their great finds at a flea market?
A 19-year-old San Diego man was behind bars Wednesday in connection with last summer's stabbing death of a well-liked transient in downtown Ocean Beach.
Due to inclement weather, the Warner Unified School District on Wednesday night announced its schools will be closed on Thursday, February 22.
A La Jolla physician was killed Wednesday when his private plane plunged into a Kearny Mesa construction site shortly after takeoff from Montgomery Field.
It's not often you look up into the sky and see something that blows your mind. In Wednesday's Zevely Zone, Jeff's goes to Moonlight Beach to meet the "Bubble Man."
Students at Eastlake Middle School have something to look forward to after the school launched “Outdoor Grill Meals” during lunch on Monday.
Ten lawsuits were filed Wednesday statewide - one of them in San Diego - by consumers who say they suffered burns when batteries in their e-cigarettes exploded.
After another very cold morning clouds will increase Wednesday afternoon. This will lead to a few light showers west of the mountains.