APNewsBreak: Ariz. man targeted ex-wife, friends - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

APNewsBreak: Ariz. man targeted ex-wife, friends

Posted: Updated:
Police investigators comb over a farm property near Wellton, Arizona, Thursday, June 2, 2011. Police investigators comb over a farm property near Wellton, Arizona, Thursday, June 2, 2011.

YUMA, Ariz. (AP) — The 73-year-old man who drove from place to place on a shooting spree in southwestern Arizona gunned down his fifth ex-wife, her attorney and three elderly friends who supported her in their divorce before pulling over and taking his own life on the side of a road.

Carey Hal Dyess also wounded his ex-wife's best friend in the shooting spree Thursday around Yuma and Wellton, near the Mexico border.

Leon Wilmot, chief deputy for the Yuma County Sheriff's Office, identified three of the victims Friday as Dyess' ex-wife Theresa Lorraine Sigurdson, 61; Henry Scott Finney, 76; and James P. Simpson, 75.

Authorities previously said one of the victims was prominent Yuma attorney Jerrold Shelley, who represented Sigurdson in the couple's 2006 divorce.

The fifth victim's name was withheld pending notification of family.

The woman who was wounded was Sigurdson's best friend, Linda Kay Clatone, 52, Wilmot said. She was flown to Phoenix, where she remained hospitalized in critical condition.

Wilmot said the victims were all either acquaintances or friends of Sigurdson who "supported her during the course of the divorce."

"That's what it's looking like," Wilmot said. "He (Dyess) apparently didn't agree with what had happened with the divorce, something that caused him to feel that his ex-wife as well as her friends were probably against him."

Wilmot said Dyess' friends saw no sign that he was planning an attack or that he would become violent toward Sigurdson.

"There have been some orders of protection between the two of them in the past," Wilmot said. "But what has transpired since last year and this year, even a close friend to the suspect had no indication that he was going to do anything like this."

Wilmot said authorities have found no notes left by Dyess, and haven't determined the order in which the killings occurred. They only know when the deaths were reported, he said.

Officers received the first call around 5 a.m. about Clatone, who was shot in Wellton, about 25 miles east of Yuma, Sheriff Ralph Ogden said.

The bodies of Sigurdson, Finney, Simpson and the unnamed victim were then found in other locations around Wellton between 8:20 and 9:45 a.m.

Dyess drove to Yuma and killed Shelley at his downtown law office at about 9:20 a.m., Ogden said.

He then drove back toward Wellton, pulled over and shot himself. His body was found at 10:47 a.m. inside a vehicle.

Court records show Dyess was involved in two civil court cases, one in Yuma and one in Wellton. A judge issued an order of protection against Dyess in one of the cases in 2006, and a court clerk said it stemmed from Dyess' divorce. No information was immediately available on those cases.

Court records also show the 2006 divorce was Dyess' fifth, with the previous four divorces all in Washington state.

The divorce file showed Theresa and Carey Dyess were married in Tombstone in May 2002 and filed for divorce in 2006. Theresa Dyess alleged there had been domestic violence, and she asked for and received an order of protection. The file contained no details of the incident.

Carey Dyess later took out a protection order against Theresa Dyess, records showed.

The divorce was granted and the couple later agreed on a property split that gave Theresa Dyess the couple's home in Wellton once she bought out her former husband's share.

A lawyer for Carey Dyess filed a brief in October 2008 that said Carey Dyess had not been paid more than a year after the divorce became final.

"Mr. Dyess is sick and believes (his ex-wife) is 'holding out,' waiting for him to die," Yuma attorney Gregory Torok wrote in a court petition. The file shows the issue led to a final settlement two months later.

Dyess also took out an order of protection against a man he identified as "my wife's boyfriend," who he alleged was harassing him by driving by his home every day.

Shelley was killed in his downtown law office on his last day of work.

Vida Florez, a Yuma attorney who knew Shelley, said she learned of the shooting after leaving court. She said she heard from a witness who spoke to the police about what happened inside the office.

"They said the shooter came in and told the secretary to 'Get out of here,'" Florez said. "She did, and he shot Jerry Shelley and he left."

The shooting prompted officials to block off a street and temporarily lock down the nearby county courthouse and some schools.

Shelley also was one of the lawyers representing seven young men — three sets of brothers — who sued the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tucson after accusing a priest of repeatedly raping them when they were children.

Yuma attorney Amanda Taylor said Shelley's wife also worked in the office, and that they have two grown children. She said Shelley was retiring and "literally was packing up his office" the day he was shot.

Josie Uriarte said she knew Theresa Dyess as a fellow business owner.

Uriarte ran a gym, while Theresa owned an upholstery business. Uriarte said she didn't know anything about the woman's personal life, but said the two used to share stories about running businesses when they'd bump into each other at the Post Office or a convenience store.

"Theresa was a very friendly, charismatic person," Uriarte said.


Associated Press writers Mark Carlson and Amanda Lee Myers in Phoenix contributed to this report.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.