SAN DIEGO (CNS) - The mastermind of the bombing of the federal courthouse in San Diego three years ago was convicted Monday of 10 charges, including conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction.
Donny Love, a former city of San Diego employee, faces a mandatory minimum of 30 years in prison. Sentencing is set for Nov. 14.
Jurors deliberated a little more than half a day before finding Love guilty of conspiracy, use of a weapon of mass destruction, possession of pipe bombs, use of a destructive device in the commission of a felony and obstruction of justice.
Prosecutors said it was Love, 44, who instructed two women, Rachelle Carlock and Ella Louise Sanders, to buy explosive powder and steal bomb-making materials.
On the night of the courthouse bombing -- May 4, 2008 -- Carlock and Eric Reginald Robinson drove from Love's residence in Menifee to San Diego with a backpack containing three pipe bombs, and Carlock detonated the bombs at the front door of the Edward J. Schwartz Federal Courthouse, according to testimony at the two-week trial.
At the time of the bombing, Love was in dire financial straits and faced significant time behind bars stemming from two pending state criminal cases, prosecutors said.
The evidence presented at the trial showed that Love directed the bombing so he could cash in on $75,000 in reward money by telling authorities about Carlock's involvement in the crime.
By providing the information, Love also hoped to get a break on his pending state charges, prosecutors said.
Carlock, Sanders and Robinson pleaded guilty at earlier hearings and are scheduled to be sentenced later this month.
A transient was behind bars Tuesday on suspicion of fatally stabbing two other homeless men last week at an Otay Mesa strip mall.
San Diego County emergency and fire officials are urging residents to protect homes against devastating wildfires as fire season kicks into full gear.
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held Tuesday to celebrate the opening of a joint-use park at McKinley Elementary.
A vote is expected Tuesday as the Del Mar Fair Board considers transforming the Surf Side Race Place into a new indoor entertainment venue.
The San Diego City Council Tuesday formally approved a $225,000 settlement in litigation brought by a deputy city attorney, who alleged sexual harassment by her former supervisor.
The Gate Fire, which has burned about 2,056 acres northwest of Dulzura, was 95 percent contained Monday. Cal Fire also reported that all evacuation orders and warnings were lifted in the fire area.
The Gate Fire northwest of Dulzura has been fully contained. Cal Fire says its crews will remain on scene Tuesday mopping up and guarding against flareups.
The North County Transit District (NCTD) has voted to lay off its enforcement officers that patrol local train and bus stations.