SAN DIEGO (CNS) - All eight fire engines taken out of service earlier this year to save money will be back in rotation as of July 1, and libraries will continue operating under normal hours, under a budget passed Monday by the San Diego City Council on a 7-1 vote.
Mayor Jerry Sanders still needs to approve the $2.75 billion spending plan for 2011-12, but he previously indicated he had no intention of using his veto power.
A top priority of the council was restoring the fire engines that were pulled out of service on a rotating basis to save $11.5 million, increasing the the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department's response times as a result.
Chief Javier Mainar said service levels will be back to normal with all of the fire engines available.
Sanders had proposed to restore half the engines and affected firefighters on July 1, when the fiscal year begins, and the rest on Jan. 1, 2012, but the budget approved by the council returns them all at once.
Frank De Clercq, who heads the firefighters union, said having the SDFRD at full strength is critical to the public.
"They call 911, we need to be there," De Clercq said.
Library hours were cut in half in the mayor's initial proposal, and when more money became available, he suggested that one branch in each council district could be restored to full service.
Monday's vote means all branches will remain open 36 hours per week.
A combination of additional revenues and higher-than-expected reserves are being used to pay for the restorations. The council was also able to save swimming and water polo programs; keep municipal pools open; add two lifeguard positions -- allowing for a resumption of hands-on training; and an extra city auditor's job.
The city will also enjoy a reserve account that is over 8 percent of revenues, reaching a target set by financial officials, according to Councilman Todd Gloria.
Council President Tony Young said the budget was a real break from past political wrangling.
"This is a thoughtful, unselfish, nonparochial and nonpartisan budget," Young said.
The lone dissenter was Councilman Carl DeMaio, who said the spending plan did not do enough to address the structural deficit -- the causes of annual shortfalls. The budget uses more than $30 million of one-time changes to expenses and revenues, instead of adjustments that can be used every year.
DeMaio said he was otherwise pleased by the process used by the council.
Young said the council should begin work soon to address the shortfall for the following fiscal year, which is estimated to be around $40 million.
The equivalent of 120 full-time jobs will be cut under the plan, but some are vacant, according to the city's Independent Budget Analyst.
A 92-year-old man accused of using a shotgun to kill his son while he slept in the Old Town home they shared pleaded not guilty Friday to a charge of murder.
An additional 4,000 migrants are expected to arrive at the border starting Friday through the weekend. The group has been growing by the hundreds each day, with about 800 migrants arriving in Tijuana Thursday.
He broke the color barrier in the National Hockey League and was just inducted into the NHL Hall of Fame this week.
San Diego County's unadjusted unemployment rate rose slightly in October, although total nonfarm employment increased by more than 10,000 jobs, the California Employment Development Department announced on Friday.
More evacuation orders were lifted in the Malibu area as residents expressed frustration on Friday with the slow pace of repopulating evacuated areas because of road closures, and the 9-day-old Woolsey Fire is 62 percent contained, with full containment expected Monday.
Authorities reached out to the public on Friday for help in identifying a man who threatened an employee with a pistol while robbing a Walmart in Poway last weekend.
On Friday, Nov. 16, the News 8 morning crew will make a trip out to La Mesa and its surrounding areas to showcase those communities of San Diego. While we wait for TGI8, we dove into the News 8 archives and unearthed some snippets from the past in East County neighborhoods. Join us for this walk down memory lane and tune in Friday to see how things have changed!
Several people dressed in pink gathered in Del Mar Friday to begin the "Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure'' walk against breast cancer.
The roving teams of forensic anthropologists have come from across the region to find the dead. They wear boots and masks, and use gloved hands and trowels to carefully pick through the ash of the quick-moving inferno.