SAN DIEGO (CNS) - The San Diego County Water Authority voted Thursday to increase water rates by more than 7 percent, but San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders said the hike will not be passed on to customers.
The CWA's rate increase was part of a $1.42 billion budget passed by the Board of Directors.
That's a 16 percent decrease from what was previously planned in a two-year outlook, and includes a $235 million drop in capital spending. The CWA also will lower department operating costs by 7 percent and eliminate the equivalent of 31 full-time positions.
The agency takes water from the main Southern California wholesaler, the Metropolitan Water District, and passes it down to 24 member districts, such as the city of San Diego and Padre Dam Water District.
Sanders said the city will have to absorb $8.75 million in additional water costs.
"The cost of water is an enormous concern for everyone in this city, from the families trying to keep their households solvent to the businesses struggling through the worst economy since the 1930s," Sanders said. "We are doing everything in our power to postpone any future water-rate increases as long as possible."
Sanders said the city's Public Utilities Department is taking steps to hold the line on its costs. He accused the MWD of artificially increasing the water bills of San Diegans.
A 37-year-old man jogging in Balboa Park with his two young children Wednesday morning was stabbed above an eye and police searched for his attacker.
Chance of light rain in the morning on Thanksgiving Thursday. Temperatures will cool through Friday and onshore flow continues to strengthen.
Malibu residents who returned home after being evacuated because of the Woolsey Fire braced Tuesday for potential mudslides as rain is forecast for areas scorched by the blaze.
The County of San Diego announced last week that several new housing developments have been placed on hold.
News 8's photojournalist Karen Kelly captured a meteor plummeting to Earth through the Southern California sky early Tuesday morning.
After posting a $250,000 bail, 92-year-old Richard Peck, who is accused of shooting and killing his son while he slept at their Old Town residence, was released from jail.
Community members on Tuesday voiced their opposition to a proposed affordable housing project in Clairemont.
It began to look a lot like Christmas at Otay Ranch Town Center Tuesday night as young and old and children of all ages came out for the tree lighting and holiday themed farmer’s market.
The scorched Northern California town of Paradise should get its first significant rainfall in six months this week, a forecast that would at least interrupt one of the most horrific fire seasons in state history.
News 8 is happy to share an update on a recent story that will make you smile. Last week we told you about the strong winds that blew away all the sand at the Cornerstone Therapeutic Riding Facility in Ramona.