EL CAJON (CNS) - A mental competency evaluation was ordered Thursday for a caretaker accused of stealing thousands of dollars from a 93-year-old war veteran and letting him live in filth in his East County home.
Milagros Angeles, 62, faces more than six years in prison if convicted of elder abuse, false imprisonment, theft by a caretaker and being in possession of altered checks.
On Thursday, the defendant's attorney told a judge she doubted her client's ability to understand the charges against her.
Angeles will be examined by doctors and will return to court Aug. 22, at which time a different judge will decide if she is competent to stand trial.
Angeles is accused of stealing from Navy veteran and Pearl Harbor survivor Arnold "Max" Bauer, whom she had worked for since 2009, Deputy District Attorney Danielle Hickman said earlier this year.
When employees where Bauer did his banking noticed he hadn't been in since October, Adult Protective Services went to check on him, Hickman said.
Once inside the house, investigators found the World War II veteran living in "filth and squalor," with rat feces and trash throughout the residence, the prosecutor said.
Authorities found $9,000 cash in the defendant's bedroom and clothing, Hickman said, who added that Angeles had written 56 checks to herself totaling $5,600, and had written more checks totaling $1,800.
Hickman alleged that the defendant also was sending money to the Philippines.
Bauer, who has dementia, was hospitalized with a severe urinary infection, and while there, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer, Hickman said.
Friends said Bauer now is living in a Chula Vista nursing home.
A popular Oceanside bar has lost its liquor license. The owners of Firewater Saloon claim the city is trying to run their business out of town. Officials say the suspension is because of disorderly activity on the premises.
Last week, News 8 introduced you to Jeffrey Dilallo, the owner of El Cajon’s The Grand who banned certain motorcycle clubs he said violated his ‘no weapons’ policy.
San Diego officials and residents held commemorative events around the county Tuesday on the 40th anniversary of the Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 182 crash.
A woman was arrested on suspicion of arson Tuesday in connection with a vehicle fire that spread to the outside of a house in the Allied Gardens area, officials said.
September 25, 1978 is a date imprinted in the memories of many San Diegans. Those that lived here – and elsewhere – remember the shocking images of plane wreckage on fire and homes ablaze following the crash of PSA Flight 182, which was 40 years ago Tuesday.
Harvest for Hope aims to raise money for low-income, underprivileged families whose children are battling cancer.
The co-creators and stars of Beyond Babel are husband and wife pair from Carlsbad, Keone and Mari Madrid.
The 14th Annual San Diego Restaurant Week returns Sunday, September 23rd, through Sunday, September 30th, for an edible extravaganza to start your fall season!