SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Two men accused in a spree of robberies, including one in La Mesa in which a 16-year-old Arizona boy was shot in the head, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to attempted murder and other charges.
Alvaro Regalado, 19, and Juan Arriero, 20, were each ordered held in lieu of $1 million bail.
Deputy District Attorney Christine Israel told Judge David Szumowski that the defendants went on a robbery spree with a shotgun and a handgun, holding up seven people in five separate robberies, including the robbery and shooting of the teen in La Mesa on June 27.
The prosecutor said Regalado is accused in a separate carjacking on June 7, and Arriero is accused of trying to hide the shotgun and allegedly made comments that he and Regalado were headed to Tijuana.
Both Regalado and Arriero face life terms in prison if convicted, Israel said.
A status conference was set for July 13 and a preliminary hearing for July 15.
A man who beat his mother to death with a claw hammer in their Escondido apartment last year was sentenced Wednesday to 26 years to life in state prison.
An environmental report linked to a proposed terminal expansion at Lindbergh Field is getting pushback. A group of San Diegans is raising questions about the report's findings.
The Yes on Prop 6 Gas Tax Repeal Campaign hit the road Wednesday for two weeks of "Rush Hour Rallies."
A pilot suffered apparent non-life-threatening injuries Wednesday during a hard landing at the Ocotillo Wells Airport in Borrego Springs, authorities said.
The Mega Millions jackpot for Friday night's drawing hit $900 million on Wednesday after no one matched all six numbers Tuesday.
The Del Mar International Horse Show will feature Olympic gold medalists, celebrity equestrians and local riders competing for nearly $300,000 in prize money.
Women-owned businesses are growing at a rate faster than you can imagine and on October 19th, Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) will host a free networking event for women.