SAN DIEGO (CNS) - San Diego Chargers President Dean Spanos said Monday he was glad to see the players' lockout end, and that he expects the new agreement to bring the National Football League 10 years of labor peace.
The executive board of the NFL Players Association and 32 team representatives unanimously approved a deal that owners agreed to last week, clearing the way for preseason training camps to open and concluding the four-and-a-half-month lockout.
"I couldn't be happier to put this behind us and get back to football," Spanos said. "I can't wait for the football season (to) start."
He thanked fans for their patience and said the deal was fair for both sides.
"It will allow pro football to be even better, safer and more competitive, and to grow and prosper into the future," Spanos said. "Bottom line, it's good for the game and the fans who love it so much."
The NFL will allow training camp for certain teams, including the Chargers, to open on Wednesday.