SAN DIEGO (CNS) - City Attorney Jan Goldsmith Wednesday called a lawsuit filed against the city over a controversial plan to remove vehicles from the center of Balboa Park "meritless" and asked that the plaintiff dismiss the court action.
Opposition to the plan has been organized by the Save Our Heritage Organisation, also known as SOHO, which agrees with the goals but not the details.
Last week, the City Council approved a memorandum of understanding that will allow the Plaza de Panama Committee to begin raising $25 million to pay for its share of the project.
In so doing, the council members signaled their willingness to work with the committee, but did not approve the final project, according to the City Attorney.
SOHO claimed in its lawsuit that even committing to the vision was a violation of state environmental laws.
But the law requires more than that to bring the California Environmental Quality Act into play, Goldsmith said.
The group also asked for the memorandum to be rescinded and an injunction preventing the city from proceeding with the project.
"This isn't the time for a lawsuit," Goldsmith said. "This is the time for evaluation (of the project) and looking for other options."
He said the memorandum is not a binding commitment, and he would not have signed off on the deal if it was. He accused SOHO of trying to shut off "public discourse" on the issue.
The matter has been handed to Superior Court Judge Judith Hayes, but a hearing has not been scheduled.
SOHO lawyer Susan Brandt-Hawley said the state Supreme Court recently ruled that deals similar to the memorandum violate the environmental act.
"The totality of the circumstances creates momentum that precludes an objective (environmental impact report) process," Brandt-Hawley said. "SOHO looks forward to making its arguments to the court."
The group's primary complaint is the proposed construction of a bridge that would carry vehicular traffic off the Laurel Street Bridge and around the center of the park. Plans for a partially underground parking garage have also drawn opposition
A group of North County lifeguards were honored Thursday night with the Medal of Valor for saving the life of a boater who wound up stranded on a jetty last October.
A San Bernardino man was sentenced to 41 months in federal prison for carrying out a credit/debit fraud scheme that targeted retail stores, restaurants and hotels throughout San Diego County, prosecutors announced Thursday.
The defense team of a Marine accused in a fatal stabbing on a California Marine Corps base argued Thursday that the death was a tragic accident and the two friends were playing around with a knife.
A San Diego County sheriff's deputy was free on bail Thursday following his arrest by Riverside County authorities on suspicion of lewd acts with a child.
Testimony continued Thursday in the civil lawsuit surrounding the mysterious death of Rebecca Zahau as her boyfriend Jonah Shacknai took the stand.
Some San Diego communities are pushing back against dockless bikes and scooters cluttering the streets and sidewalks.
San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer met with the Mexican foreign affairs secretary Thursday to discuss ways to improve economic prosperity and infrastructure, a spokeswoman said.
The Fred Hall Show is dubbed The Ultimate Outdoor Experience, featuring the hottest trends in outdoor recreation. Boating, fishing, camping, hunting, scuba diving and international travel with over 700 exhibits and interactive displays at Del Mar Fairgrounds.
Two more schools face threats Thursday morning in Vista and city leaders are taking new action to stop them.