Man accused of shooting woman who rejected him ordered to stand - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Man accused of shooting woman who rejected him ordered to stand trial

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A man accused of shooting a woman in the head after she rejected his advances must stand trial on premeditated attempted murder and assault charges, a judge ruled Monday.

Anthony McCarary, 21, is accused of shooting Shawntrece Smith on July 13.

Deputy District Attorney James Simmons said McCarary had a crush on the victim, but she didn't feel the same way about him.

The victim -- who is in her 20s -- had her boyfriend confront the defendant because he kept bothering her, the prosecutor said.

Simmons said McCarary got into an argument with the boyfriend after he told the defendant to leave her alone, and the defendant said he was going to come back with his "homeboys."

McCarary left and returned several hours later, wearing a "hoodie" and ski mask, and confronted the victim from behind outside a home in Lincoln Park, the prosecutor said.

Simmons alleged the defendant put a gun to Smith's head and shot her twice.

Fortunately for the victim, one of her neighbors saw the defendant walking up and yelled for her to look behind and she started to turn, making the injury survivable when it otherwise probably wouldn't have been, Simmons said.

Police said McCarary was arrested in some bushes near Interstate 805 about 15 minutes after the shooting.

Judge Esteban Hernandez ruled that enough evidence had been presented for McCarary to stand trial Oct. 11. A readiness conference was set for Oct. 3.

McCarary faces 33 years to life in prison if convicted, Simmons said.

 

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.