Former Marine who fatally shot neighbor on Christmas gets life i - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Former Marine who fatally shot neighbor on Christmas gets life in prison

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A former Marine who shot his neighbor to death following a Christmas morning argument in Oceanside was sentenced Friday to 40 years to life in state prison.

Robert Glenn Pulley, 48, was convicted in July of second-degree murder in the death of Jimmy Misaalefua. Jurors also found Pulley guilty of threatening and hitting his 20-year-old son about 45 minutes before Misaalefua was killed and acquitted the defendant of threatening his wife weeks before the murder.

Before sentencing, Judge Louis Hanoian denied a defense motion for a new trial.

About 2:45 a.m. Dec. 25, 2010, Pulley went to Misaalefua's house and talked with his 44-year-old neighbor. The conversation initially appeared to be friendly, said Deputy District Attorney Tracy Prior, who added there had been no bad blood between the two.

At some point, the conversation moved to a nearby cul-de-sac between the men's homes, and a witness heard Pulley tell Misaalefua, "I've got something for you," according to Prior.

Prior said the defendant walked into his own home as Misaalefua headed in the same direction behind him. Pulley retrieved the loaded gun from his house, walked back to a driveway outside his garage and fired at the victim, the prosecutor said.

Pulley fired two shots, with one hitting Misaalefua in the chest, according to authorities.

Pulley testified that he kept two loaded handguns in his home for protection, and he retrieved one of those guns after getting into a scuffle with Misaalefua.

Pulley said Misaalefua was bigger than him and had struck him once already.

"I was attacked," Pulley testified.

He said he retrieved his gun from inside his home "because I thought Jimmy and his family were coming in my house."

On Nov. 11, about six weeks before the fatal shooting, Pulley was drunk and threatened to shoot his wife, the prosecutor said.

About 2 a.m. Christmas Day, Pulley, who again was drunk, threatened his son and punched him in the face, according to Prior.

When the Oceanside Fire Department responded, it took four firefighters to restrain the defendant, but he was not arrested, Prior said. About 45 minutes later, Oceanside police responded to a "shots fired" 911 call placed from the same location, the prosecutor said.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.