Cold murder mystery heats up with focus on husband - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Cold murder mystery heats up with focus on husband

Posted: Updated:

A cold case in San Diego is heating up: a dead woman's body went unidentified for years, and her husband never reported her missing. Now, court documents are revealing details about their marriage.

Fumiko Simoneau disappeared back in 2007, while living in Point Loma. Her body was found days later in the Anza Borrego desert. However, a search warrant affidavit claims her husband kept talking to people as if she were alive.

Fumiko's husband, Anthony Simoneau, had actually filed for divorce back in 2002, then suddenly withdrew those papers soon after Fumiko inherited a large amount of money from relatives in japan.

After that, according to court documents, he went on a spending spree, buying four Land Rovers, four boats, a Hummer and a motorcycle.

A few years after that, Fumiko went missing: something Simoneau never reported to authorities.

The family of Japanese-born Fumiko Simoneau says the last time they ever talked to their loved one was the first week of January 2007.

Later that month, the decomposed body of a woman was found buried in a shallow grave in the Anza-Borrego desert.

That corpse remained unidentified for three-and-a-half years, until DNA provided by Fumiko's parents confirmed it was their then 41-year-old daughter.

But according to this search warrant affidavit, Fumiko's husband, Anthony Simoneau, a former dental technician in the Navy, never reported his wife missing.

The couple had lived in this Point Loma apartment complex and even after Fumiko went missing. He continued "to speak about Fumiko as though she were alive and married to him".... telling different stories to different people....

To some: that Fumiko was setting up the couple's new home in Hawaii. while to others, that she had returned to japan to tend to a sick relative.

One former friend of Anthony Simoneau called him "a con artist, a liar and evasive," telling investigators he witnessed Simoneau threatening Fumiko "if you ever try and leave me I will kill you."

Meanwhile, Simoneau's trail extends into cyber-space where, according to court documents, a string of Japanese women claim "to have been defrauded" by Anthony Simoneau, writing on web sites like and, that Simoneau "promised them love and marriage and then took their money," with one woman warning "do not believe any of his lies" and "he has no morals or conscience."

According to the search warrant affidavit, Anthony Simoneau left San Diego in August 2007, eight months after his wife was last heard from, and lived with his parents in New Hampshire, during which time, he conned his father out of $140,000.

Simoneau later moved to Hawaii, where he had recently pleaded guilty to felony theft, and is currently on supervised release.

According to the search warrant affidavit, a new court order is being sought to have Fumiko Simoneau's body exhumed and re-examined to try to determine exactly how she died.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.