Suspect in freeway shootings booked in San Diego jail - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Suspect in freeway shootings booked in San Diego jail

Posted: Updated:
  • RelatedMore>>

  • Freeway shooting victim talks to News 8

    Freeway shooting victim talks to News 8

    Tuesday, October 4 2011 2:48 PM EDT2011-10-04 18:48:09 GMT
    A person of interest was identified by the California Highway Patrol in connection with the wounding of a man Monday on a San Diego freeway. 
    A person of interest was identified by the California Highway Patrol in connection with the wounding of a man Monday on a San Diego freeway. 

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A man suspected in a shooting spree on two San Diego freeways that left one motorist wounded is back in San Diego, but this time he's behind bars.

Enrique Ayon, 24, arrived back in San Diego Tuesday, in custody of the CHP. Ayon was booked in the downtown jail on charges of attempted first degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon, discharging a firearm, and shooting into an inhabited dwelling or vehicle. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Thursday afternoon. Ayon is being held without bail.

Ayon was taken into custody during a traffic stop about 10 a.m. at the Foothill (210) Freeway near Osborne Street, in the Lake View Terrace area of Los Angeles, said California Highway Patrol Officer Jesse Udovich.

The car he was driving had the same license number as the one wanted in connection with the four shootings on Interstate 805 and Interstate 5, which were reported within about 20 minutes late Monday morning, authorities said.

According to the CHP, the shots were fired from a white 2006 Chevrolet Malibu registered to Enrique Ayon out of Lancaster in northern Los Angeles County.

The 24-year-old Ayon -- described as Latino, 5 feet 8 and 190 pounds -- was being sought as a "person of interest," according to the CHP, which described him as armed and dangerous.

A description of Ayon's car and its license plate, 5POM917, were posted on electronic signs on major freeways Tuesday.

San Diego police Lt. Darryl Hoover said the Malibu, carrying at least two men, had been involved in a hit-and-run collision on East San Ysidro Boulevard shortly before the shooting spree began about 10:30 a.m. on northbound Interstate 805, near East Plaza Boulevard in National City. At least one bullet hit a car in that assault, though no one was hurt.

A short time later, a shooting on Interstate 805 at Mesa College Drive wounded a 26-year-old man, Hoover said. Medics took him to a hospital for treatment of a non-life-threatening calf wound.

Within the next 15 or so minutes, gunfire again erupted on Interstate 805 near state Route 163, where a CHP officer was assisting a motorist, and on northbound Interstate 5 in the area of Del Mar Heights Road, according to Hoover. An ambulance apparently was targeted in the latter shooting, he said. No one was injured in those attacks.

"At this time, we have no information about any words being exchanged," Hoover said Monday afternoon. "As we know at this time, it's just a stranger-on-stranger (crime)."

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.