VISTA (CNS) - A man who kept explosives and converted fireworks into bombs at his Escondido home is scheduled to be sentenced Monday.
Richard Hinkel, 46, pleaded guilty last month to possession of a dangerous or deadly weapon -- a felony -- and a misdemeanor charge of possession of fireworks without a permit.
Deputy District Attorney Terri Perez said Hinkel is expected to be given 180 days in jail and probation. If he violates probation terms, he would be imprisoned for three years, she said.
Hinkel will also be prohibited from possessing fireworks and must complete alcohol and mental health treatment if directed during his probation, Perez said.
The defendant was arrested about 5 a.m. last Nov. 28 after he was heard screaming in his backyard in the 2300 block of Country View Glen. Officers who went to investigate found numerous explosive devices, including five pipe bombs, fireworks, along with a dozen rifles and 10 handguns, police said.
The Bomb/Arson Unit from the San Diego County Sheriff's Department confiscated the explosives and guns. Perez said there was no reason to have the explosives other than to blow up things.
Inmates at Las Colinas Detention and Re-Entry Facility in Santee are getting their hands dirty as part of the Fresh Start Farms program – which helps women learn valuable job skills before they are released.
A red flag warning will be in effect from 3 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday for San Diego County mountains and inland valleys as Santa Ana winds make a return to the region – combining low humidity levels and warm temperatures to create the potential for dangerous, wind-driven wildfires.
Have you ever moved to a new city and had trouble meeting friends, or maybe, you just wanted to make new ones?
A man who allegedly murdered the proprietor of an East Village flooring-materials store at the victim's downtown business while wearing a Halloween-style old-lady mask is in custody, facing charges of murder and robbery. San Diego police reported Thursday.
An unidentified man sneaked into an East County home early Thursday and sexually assaulted a 7-year-old girl, authorities reported.
Several News 8 viewers contacted the newsroom after a story about the problems with the homeless in El Cajon on aired on Wednesday.
Authorities reached out to the public Thursday for information about an Egyptian man who was found dead under potentially suspicious circumstances in the ocean off the coast of Mission Beach.