SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A motorist who was allegedly speeding when his car struck a woman crossing a San Diego street following a hiking outing with her family pleaded not guilty Tuesday to gross vehicular manslaughter.
Lawrence Joseph Farry, 25, was ordered not to drive while the case was pending, but Judge David Szumowski allowed the defendant to remain out of custody on his own recognizance.
Farry was charged last week in the death of 56-year-old Joan Milazzo, who was struck as she crossed the 14900 block of Camino Del Sur near San Dieguito Road around 9:50 a.m. on Aug. 30.
Deputy District Attorney Chandelle Konstanzer said Milazzo had been hiking with her husband and sister before she was hit. There was no evidence that alcohol was involved in the accident, she said.
The prosecutor said Farry was traveling 81 mph in a 50-mph zone at the time of the collision.
Konstanzer said Farry stayed at the scene after the accident. Milazzo died at a hospital about an hour later.
The victim's husband, Paul, attended the brief court hearing.
Farry -- who has no prior record -- will be back in court Jan. 10 for a readiness conference. A preliminary hearing was set for Jan. 31.
A water line broke Wednesday morning in a hilly neighborhood on the border of San Diego and Mountain View, flooding several nearby homes and opening a large sink hole that partially swallowed a pickup truck.
A three-vehicle pileup at an intersection near Lawrence Welk Resort Village left one person dead and four others injured Wednesday.
A serviceman stabbed to death this week at Camp Pendleton was identified Wednesday as a Wisconsin native who joined the Marine Corps last summer, shortly after graduating from high school.
Circus Vargas is back for another year, but this circus doesn't use animals. Instead it is non-stop entertainment with trapeze artists, acrobats, stunt devils and more.
Jan. 1, for many, was the first day of a new diet and workout routine but are you still sticking to it?
A transient who bumped a 60-year-old pedestrian with a shopping cart in the East Village, then attacked the victim with an umbrella, gouged one of his eyes and bit off part of his nose, was sentenced Thursday to four years in state prison.
Bomb squad personnel have safely impounded a possible piece of military equipment found late Wednesday morning at a self-storage business in Lemon Grove.