Sentencing delayed at least two months for Mira Mesa man who kil - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Sentencing delayed at least two months for Mira Mesa man who killed wife

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A motion for a new trial and possible sentencing was set Tuesday for March 5 for a Mira Mesa man convicted of murdering his wife in their home last year.

David Patrick Ditto, 44, was convicted in October of first-degree murder in the death of 38-year-old Karina Ditto.

The defendant told authorities that his wife was injured in a fall down a flight of stairs, but prosecutors successfully argued that the victim was beaten and strangled by the defendant.

On Tuesday, attorney Allen Bloom told Judge Kenneth So that he had been hired by Ditto to look into issues -- which he did not specify -- over whether a new trial should be granted.

Ditto's trial attorney, Keith Rutman, was taken off the case.

So said he will consider a motion for a new trial on March 5. If one is filed and is denied, Ditto faces 25 years to life in prison at time of sentencing.

Bloom told the judge he needed more than 60 days to investigate the possible motion, but So disagreed.

"I don't want to have this delayed unnecessarily," So said.

Ditto testified during trial that his wife of 16 years went upstairs to use the bathroom the night of March 11 when he heard a cat screech and a loud "thud, thud, thud, thud, thud" coming down the stairs. He said he got off the couch and found his wife lying at the foot of the staircase.

Paramedics and firefighters who responded to the 911 call shortly before 1 a.m. last March 11 expected to see a victim injured from a fall, but what they found was very different, prosecutor Claudine Ruiz said.

Paramedics noted that there were injuries to the victim's right temple and a cut to the back of her head, but there was no active bleeding even though the victim was covered in blood, according to Ruiz.

The defendant also had scratches on his face from his wife fighting back, the prosecutor said.

A firefighter was concerned about the circumstances under which the woman was found and called police, Ruiz said. The victim suffered a brain injury from lack of oxygen and was taken off life support two days later.

Nurses looking after Karina Ditto hours before she died on March 14 noticed extensive bruising on her body, according to Ruiz.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Veterans, families offered free admission to SeaWorld San Diego through Fourth of July

    Veterans, families offered free admission to SeaWorld San Diego through Fourth of July

    Thursday, May 24 2018 7:33 PM EDT2018-05-24 23:33:55 GMT

    Beginning Thursday through July 4, 2018, U.S. veterans and up to three guests may enjoy free admission to SeaWorld San Diego as well as other SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment properties across the country. This new offer joins the ongoing Waves of Honor program that offers complimentary admission to any U.S. active duty military, activated or drilling reservist, or National Guardsman once per year, for the military personnel and as many as three direct dependents.

     

    Beginning Thursday through July 4, 2018, U.S. veterans and up to three guests may enjoy free admission to SeaWorld San Diego as well as other SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment properties across the country. This new offer joins the ongoing Waves of Honor program that offers complimentary admission to any U.S. active duty military, activated or drilling reservist, or National Guardsman once per year, for the military personnel and as many as three direct dependents.

     
  • National City: Furnace mishap at funeral home releases cremation smoke

    National City: Furnace mishap at funeral home releases cremation smoke

    Thursday, May 24 2018 7:32 PM EDT2018-05-24 23:32:03 GMT

    A furnace mishap at a South Bay funeral home briefly sent smoke from a crematorium into the air near the interchange of Interstate 5 and state Route 54 interchange Thursday, authorities reported.

     

    A furnace mishap at a South Bay funeral home briefly sent smoke from a crematorium into the air near the interchange of Interstate 5 and state Route 54 interchange Thursday, authorities reported.

     
  • Chula Vista couple, Nevada man among 5 killed in fiery crash

    Chula Vista couple, Nevada man among 5 killed in fiery crash

    Thursday, May 24 2018 7:13 PM EDT2018-05-24 23:13:01 GMT

    Authorities say a couple from California and a man from southern Nevada man were among five people killed in a fiery three-vehicle crash on a remote highway northwest of Las Vegas.

     

    Authorities say a couple from California and a man from southern Nevada man were among five people killed in a fiery three-vehicle crash on a remote highway northwest of Las Vegas.

     
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.