Trial ordered for Pacific Beach man accused of attacking two off - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Trial ordered for Pacific Beach man accused of attacking two officers checking on noise complaint

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A man who allegedly attacked two San Diego police officers who responded to a noise complaint at his Pacific Beach apartment late last year must stand trial on assault and other charges, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Tyler Torres, 31, faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted. He's also charged with resisting police officers and misdemeanor battery in connection with a separate incident in Pacific Beach last spring.

San Diego police Officer Don Meeks testified during a daylong preliminary hearing that he responded to a loud noise complaint at an apartment complex in the 3800 block of Ingraham Street after 10 p.m. on Dec. 15.

Meeks said a security guard directed him and a female officer to Torres' second-floor apartment, and the defendant answered after Meeks' colleague knocked on the door with her flashlight.

Meeks said Torres stood in the doorway with his fists clenched in a defensive posture, while mumbling "Get some, get some, get some."

The defendant's large Rottweiler puppy jumped off a sofa and came running toward the door, and Meeks and Officer Frances Minton urged the defendant to get control of the animal, Meeks testified.

He said Torres threw the dog by its tail about 10 feet, prompting the officers to say, "What's the matter with you?" The puppy was not injured.

Meeks said Torres started to close the door, but the officer put his left hand on the door to stop it. The officer said he stumbled toward the inside of the apartment and Torres sucker-punched him in the face, causing him to fall to the ground.

Meeks said Torres jumped on him and continued throwing blows, but the officer threw the defendant off and shot him with his Taser.

Torres ripped two Taser prongs out of his chest and continued to fight, and Meeks drew his service weapon and said "No more," the officer testified.

Meeks said he suffered a concussion, broken nose, two broken teeth and a broken finger from punching Torres.

Minton testified that she saw "blood everywhere" when Torres attacked Meeks.

She said she also Tased the suspect, but it had no effect on him.

"It was a continual assault occurring," the female officer testified.

Minton said she turned away from Torres so she wouldn't be hit and the defendant punched her "hard" in the back of the head and neck. The officer said she was treated at a local emergency room, but experienced nausea and headaches after she got home. Doctors later said Minton suffered a mild concussion.

Torres retreated into his apartment and was arrested after SWAT officers were called to the scene.

In the incident last April 24, a San Diego police officer testified that he stopped Torres about 1:30 a.m. on Garnet Avenue after three people flagged him down and said a man on a bicycle was kicking people and trying to start fights.

Torres -- who appeared to be under the influence of alcohol -- fought with three officers as they tried to detain him and kicked a sergeant and they tried to put him in a police van, police said.

Superior Court Judge Robert F. O'Neill ordered Torres to stand trial on two felony counts each of assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury and resisting officers with force or violence and one count of misdemeanor battery.

Torres -- free on $100,000 bail -- will be back in court April 25 for arraignment in Superior Court.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.