Car catches fire on SB I-5, prompts temporary closures - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Car catches fire on SB I-5, prompts temporary closures

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A vehicle that caught fire Saturday on Interstate 5 north of Carmel Valley Road prompted officials to temporarily close the southbound side of the freeway, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The fire was reported in the fast lane about 9:30 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department, which sent out two engines.

The fire was put out and the three right-hand lanes had been reopened by 10 a.m., as a tow crew worked to remove the fire-damaged vehicle, according to the CHP.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Closing arguments in violent crime spree case

    Closing arguments in violent crime spree case

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 4:21 PM EDT2014-04-16 20:21:16 GMT
    Closing arguments are scheduled Wednesday in the trial of a gang member accused of taking part in a 12-hour crime spree in San Diego. 
    Closing arguments are scheduled Wednesday in the trial of a gang member accused of taking part in a 12-hour crime spree in San Diego that included the near-fatal beating of an 18-year-old UC Berkeley student from the San Fernando Valley. 
  • College students displaced after house fire

    College students displaced after house fire

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 4:16 PM EDT2014-04-16 20:16:53 GMT
    A dozen people were displaced when discarded smoking material sparked a fire at a former fraternity house near San Diego State University early Wednesday, causing $250,000 in damage, authorities said. 
    A dozen people were displaced when discarded smoking material sparked a fire at a former fraternity house near San Diego State University early Wednesday, causing $250,000 in damage, authorities said. 
  • Fire damages Mission Beach apartment building

    Fire damages Mission Beach apartment building

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 4:01 PM EDT2014-04-16 20:01:57 GMT
    An electrical problem in a ground-floor kitchen wall sparked a fire Wednesday that caused an estimated $250,000 worth of damage to a Mission Beach apartment building. 
    An electrical problem in a ground-floor kitchen wall sparked a fire Wednesday that caused an estimated $250,000 worth of damage to a Mission Beach apartment building. 
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.