Toddler recovering after being bitten by rattlesnake - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Toddler recovering after being bitten by rattlesnake

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - After a two-year-old boy was bitten by a rattlesnake in the East County Saturday afternoon, authorities are reminding parents what to do if something like this happens to your child.

"We understand and respect the panic the parents felt but we want to use this as teaching opportunity so that they do understand that they need to remain calm and call 911 and begin to get that treatment going," San Miguel Fire Dept. Spokesman, Leonard Villarreal said.

The toddler was playing outside his home near Jamul when he was bitten.

His parents called 9-1-1 on the way to a hospital and a dispatcher told them to pull over, and wait for paramedics, but the boy's parents were frantic to get help and kept driving. They ended up at a fire station, where crews were already dispatched, then blew a tire after crashing into a curb. They continued driving after that to try and flag down someone for help.

San Miguel firefighters eventually caught up with the family and treated the boy, and took him to the hospital. He is in stable condition.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.