Fire at Clairemont Mesa apartments caused by smoker - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Fire at Clairemont Mesa apartments caused by smoker

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A fire blamed on careless smoking broke out at an apartment building in the Clairemont area Friday, displacing residents even though it was extinguished rapidly.

The noninjury fire at a three-story building at 4182 Balboa Way was reported at 3:13 a.m., according to a San Diego fire-rescue dispatcher. A knockdown was declared at 3:31 a.m., she said.

At least one apartment was rendered uninhabitable, the dispatcher said, noting the Red Cross was called to assist displaced residents.

A SD fire-rescue battalion chief at the scene told reporters the cause appeared accidental in nature, saying a couple fell asleep in bed while smoking.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.