Trial ordered for three accused in gang retaliation killing - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Trial ordered for three accused in gang retaliation killing

Posted: Updated:

VISTA (CNS) - Three 20-year-old men accused of killing a rival gang member in retaliation for the murders of two teenagers in Libby Lake Park in Oceanside last May must stand trial on murder charges, a judge ruled Tuesday.

After a preliminary hearing that lasted several days at the Vista Courthouse, Judge Richard Mills found that enough evidence had been presented for Eulise Valverde Solano, Robert Cano Montelongo and Benjamin Soria to proceed to trial in the Jan. 2 shooting death of 20-year-old Stephen Board of Oceanside.

Board was found mortally wounded in the yard of a home in the 500 block of North Redondo Drive shortly before 4 p.m. on Jan. 2. Witnesses reported seeing three men in dark clothing running out of the area following the sound of gunfire, Oceanside police said. The defendants were arrested Jan. 19.

Board was allegedly killed in retaliation for the shooting deaths of Sandra Salgado, 14, and Fernando Solano, 16, in Libby Lake Park on Calle Montecito Street the night of May 3, 2011. Police said the two were boyfriend and girlfriend.

An Aug. 6 trial date is set for four gang members charged in the park shooting, the motive for which remains unclear. Board was not among the men charged in the park shooting.

Solano, Montelongo and Soria will be back in court June 11 for a readiness conference. Their trial was set for June 28.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.