LOS ANGELES (CNS) - A 26-year-old Vista woman was sentenced Monday in Los Angeles to five years in federal prison for helping to lead an international crime ring that tricked people into sharing personal information used to drain their bank accounts.
After a six-week trial last year, Nichole Michelle Merzi was found guilty of bank and wire fraud conspiracy, aggravated identity theft, computer fraud conspiracy and money laundering conspiracy charges.
Along with her then-boyfriend -- Kenneth Joseph Lucas II -- Merzi was a lead defendant in an indictment returned in the fall of 2009 as part of "Operation Phish Phry," a multi-national probe that led to charges against 100 people, federal prosecutors said.
"The harm done by (Merzi's) activities is undisputed," according to the government's sentencing memo. "Although (Bank of America) and Wells Fargo reimbursed the individual victims whose accounts were compromised, it is undeniable that the scheme affected a large number of victims," given that the illegal phishing transfers "occurred in amounts around $1,000 at a time."
As a result of the investigation, 47 people have been convicted in federal court in Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.
Lucas was sentenced in 2011 in two federal cases -- one stemming from the phishing scheme and one from an indoor marijuana grow operation that he constructed -- for a total of 13 years in federal prison, prosecutors said.
Merzi has been in custody since she was found guilty at trial in March 2011.
A San Diego family is continuing their fight for justice for their son after his accused killer, a twice deported undocumented immigrant, fled to Mexico.
Amid an uptick of shootings across San Diego, on Thursday, community came together to discuss ways to stop gun violence in San Diego neighborhoods.
Crews dousing the smoldering remnants of a roughly 60-acre wildfire near Pala Casino had the burn area 100 percent contained Thursday night.
A terrifying scene played out in La Mesa earlier this week when an eighth grader was chased by a man with machetes on her way to school. The man accused – who allegedly had two machetes as he chased the 13-year-old girl – was shot by police and on Thursday was charged under unusual circumstances.
Imagine being at work, when suddenly your boss demands you stop what you're doing and take a break. In Thursday's Zevely Zone, Jeff's in the East Village with the San Diego Humane Society's first "kitten crash."
Beginning Thursday through July 4, 2018, U.S. veterans and up to three guests may enjoy free admission to SeaWorld San Diego as well as other SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment properties across the country. This new offer joins the ongoing Waves of Honor program that offers complimentary admission to any U.S. active duty military, activated or drilling reservist, or National Guardsman once per year, for the military personnel and as many as three direct dependents.
For four hours on Tuesday, a domestic violence suspect held police off with SWAT snipers positioned on rooftops in a Bay Terraces neighborhood. On Thursday, the man arrested answered to charges in court.
A furnace mishap at a South Bay funeral home briefly sent smoke from a crematorium into the air near the interchange of Interstate 5 and state Route 54 interchange Thursday, authorities reported.
Authorities say a couple from California and a man from southern Nevada man were among five people killed in a fiery three-vehicle crash on a remote highway northwest of Las Vegas.