San Diego jury convicts 2 in cartel-linked murders - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

San Diego jury convicts 2 in cartel-linked murders

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A jury convicted two men Wednesday of first-degree murder in the killings of two men whose bodies were dissolved in acid for a Mexican drug gang.

Prosecutors said the gruesome case is one of the worst examples of Mexico's horrific drug violence spilling over the border into the United States.

Jose Olivera Beritan and David Valencia could face maximum terms of life in prison without parole when they are sentenced July 19. Prosecutors said they were part of a group of alleged assassins acting on behalf of a Mexican trafficker who moved to the San Diego area and directed a cell that had broken away from the Tijuana-based Arellano-Felix cartel.

The men were the first to go on trial among 17 people indicted in a case involving nine killings in San Diego. Nine of the 17 remain in custody, while the others were fugitives.

The two strangled corpses were placed in 55-gallon barrels of acid heated by propane tanks on a ranch in San Diego County. More than two years after the killings, a witness led investigators to the ranch, where human remains were recovered.

Olivera was also convicted of a third count of first-degree murder of man whose body was stuffed into the trunk of a stolen car and abandoned. Valencia was not in the gang at the time of that killing, prosecutors said. Jurors found the men guilty of kidnapping but not guilty of torture.

A victim who survived was Eduardo Gonzalez Tostado. Prosecutors said he was chained and blindfolded for eight days until he was rescued in an FBI raid on a home in Chula Vista in June 2007. Authorities found three boxes of muriatic acid in the house.

Defense attorneys for Valencia and Olivera argued during the trial that two of the prosecution's key witnesses had been given deals for their testimonies and were not credible. The defense could not be reached for comment after the verdicts were read Wednesday.

Deputy District Attorney James Fontane applauded the jury and said the verdicts send a strong message that San Diego County will not tolerate the "brutality that we're seeing just south of the border."

"We will not sit by and let drug gangs conduct their business on our streets," he said.

He called it the worst case of drug violence that has been seen along the southwestern border of the United States. Despite the staggering drug violence that has sent murder rates soaring in Mexican border cities like Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana in recent years, U.S. cities directly across from them remain among the safest in the nation.

Prosecutors said the men acted on behalf of a cell called Los Palillos, or The Toothpicks. The cell broke away from the Arellano Felix cartel around 2002 when its leader was killed in an internal feud. The Arellano Felix cartel was considered Mexico's most vicious and powerful but has been largely crippled over the past decade by arrests and the killings of its top people.

During the three-month trial, prosecutors called 80 witnesses and presented 700 items of evidence.

The leader's younger brother, Jorge Rojas, moved to the San Diego area and allegedly directed the cell in trafficking drugs and kidnapping and in killing perceived rivals until his arrest in 2007. Rojas, 32, was convicted of kidnapping in 2008 and sentenced to life in prison. He will be tried later this year on additional charges that may make him eligible for the death penalty, if convicted.

 

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Man who tried to kidnap girl in Encinitas sentenced to 7 years in prison

    Man who tried to kidnap girl in Encinitas sentenced to 7 years in prison

    Monday, May 21 2018 8:47 PM EDT2018-05-22 00:47:05 GMT
    VISTA (CNS) - A man who tried to kidnap a 15-year-old girl as she waxed her surfboard in front of an Encinitas home was sentenced today to seven years in state prison. Jeremiah Owens, 28, was also ordered the defendant to register as a sex offender for life. He pleaded guilty in April to attempted kidnap for rape of a minor. During Owens' preliminary hearing last October, the teenage victim testified she was waxing her surfboard in a driveway last July 26 when Owens ran up behind he... 
    VISTA (CNS) - A man who tried to kidnap a 15-year-old girl as she waxed her surfboard in front of an Encinitas home was sentenced today to seven years in state prison. Jeremiah Owens, 28, was also ordered the defendant to register as a sex offender for life. He pleaded guilty in April to attempted kidnap for rape of a minor. During Owens' preliminary hearing last October, the teenage victim testified she was waxing her surfboard in a driveway last July 26 when Owens ran up behind he... 
  • Passenger Killed: Driver accused in deadly Mission Valley crash

    Passenger Killed: Driver accused in deadly Mission Valley crash

    Monday, May 21 2018 8:10 PM EDT2018-05-22 00:10:42 GMT

    A 20-year-old motorist who was allegedly behind the wheel of a sedan that rammed a car from behind in Mission Valley before slamming into several trees -- killing one of his three passengers -- pleaded not guilty Monday to charges of gross vehicular manslaughter, hit-and run causing death and driving on a suspended license.

     

    A 20-year-old motorist who was allegedly behind the wheel of a sedan that rammed a car from behind in Mission Valley before slamming into several trees -- killing one of his three passengers -- pleaded not guilty Monday to charges of gross vehicular manslaughter, hit-and run causing death and driving on a suspended license.

     
  • La Mesa police open fire on knife-wielding suspect

    La Mesa police open fire on knife-wielding suspect

    Monday, May 21 2018 7:53 PM EDT2018-05-21 23:53:17 GMT

    A man who allegedly chased a 13-year-old girl through a neighborhood near the Grossmont Center mall Monday with two machete-style knives in his hands charged a patrolman who confronted him, prompting the officer to shoot him, authorities reported.

     

    A man who allegedly chased a 13-year-old girl through a neighborhood near the Grossmont Center mall Monday with two machete-style knives in his hands charged a patrolman who confronted him, prompting the officer to shoot him, authorities reported.

     
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.