SAN DIEGO (CNS) - The San Diego County Registrar of Voters' website went out of service on election night because a firewall recognized an attempt to hack into the site, officials said Thursday, adding that an investigation was being conducted.
Sdvote.com went down soon after initial results were posted after 8 p.m. Tuesday, and the site remained inoperative for about two hours. Access to the site was also spotty after midnight.
Residents and local politicos use the site to track results. The county also uses its information technology to send a direct feed of results to news media, but that feed was not interrupted.
According to a county statement, sdvote.com began receiving well over 1 million hits per minute from a single Internet protocol address around 8:15 p.m., so a firewall that recognized suspicious activity shut down outside access to county websites.
Investigators said they believe the "denial of service" attack was launched against the site to prevent legitimate users from obtaining information.
It was unknown if the attack was meant to disrupt the election itself, according to the county.
IT vendor Hewlett Packard ruled out any hardware or software issues, and there was plenty of capacity for the number of users who tried to use sdvote.com, according to the county.
County officials said they were working with a security team and Hewlett Packard to find who or what was responsible for the attack, and reviewing ways to keep such an event from taking down the site in the future.
The Grand in El Cajon hosts good and fun times, but there are rules that need to be followed like the 'no weapons' policy its owner implanted nine months ago.
The San Diego Housing Authority voted 8-1 Tuesday to extend three contracts for the city's Bridge Shelter Program through June 2019.
Earlier this year, News 8 introduced you to a teenager who helped raise money to build a home for a family in need in Tijuana.
Apple and Google want to help you spend less time on their phones — really. Like that time you checked Facebook at 3 a.m. Stats don't lie.
Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa said Monday that he plans to blast off on the first-ever commercial trip around the moon and will invite six to eight artists, architects, designers and other creative people on the weeklong journey.
A North County family is out $2,000 after falling for secret shopper scam involving wiring money from Walmart.
SeaWorld and two former executives on Tuesday agreed to pay more than $5 million to settle federal fraud claims that they misled investors about the negative impact the 2013 documentary "Blackfish" had on business.
One local hotel has come up with a creative solution to stop unwanted guests from ruffling feathers. For years seagulls would swoop in on outdoor events at the Hotel Del Coronado, but not anymore.
As dockless electric scooters become more and more popular, concerns about safety for both riders and pedestrians have grown, too.