SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A proposed four-year contract for the San Diego Convention and Visitors Bureau to provide sales and marketing services for the Convention Center was forwarded Monday by the Economic Development and Services Committee to the full City Council for final approval.
ConVis would try to attract large organizations that book national meetings and trade shows several years in advance. The shift in marketing responsibilities is part of a planned expansion of the center designed to make San Diego more appealing for organizers of big shows.
"We do have a phenomenal facility and this is all about -- in my opinion -- keeping it that way and making sure that for years to come we attract the large convention groups -- every size of convention group -- to keep it operating the best we can," Councilman Kevin Faulconer said.
All convention marketing had previously been handled by center staff, but tourism officials have complained about inconsistency -- big shows mixed with dead periods. However, figures provided by the center show that hotel room nights generated by meetings at the facility had nearly returned to pre-recession levels by the 2010-11 fiscal year.
The Convention Center Corp. would pay ConVis $1.9 million for the marketing services in the fiscal year that begins July 1. Future payment amounts would be negotiated. The contract would run until June 30, 2016, with an option to extend for two more years.
The $520 million expansion project at the Convention Center could begin as soon as the end of this calendar year, funded in part by an increase in taxes charged to hotel guests. When complete, the facility would increase in size by 961,187 square feet to 2.75 million square feet of floor space.
A consultant's study says a larger building could bring 25 additional large conventions annually, with attendees spending an additional $121 million to stay at local hotels.
One person was killed Monday morning when a motorcyclist and tanker truck collided near Naval Base San Diego, authorities said.
Guided-missile destroyer USS Higgins will depart San Diego for deployment to the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility Monday.
Transportation officials Monday celebrate the completion of $28 million in improvements to the Oceanside Transit Center that they say will make holiday travel much smoother in the region.
Border patrol agents are still investigating Monday after a dangerous smuggling attempt off the La Jolla coast turned deadly Saturday night.
The sea of pink continued Sunday with 2,200 people marching in the name of breast cancer research funding on the third - and final - day of the Susan G. Komen San Diego 3-Day.
Five people beat to unconscious a 37-year-old man and then took his cell phone at the Horton Plaza in San Diego, a police officer said Sunday.
A non-injury fire Sunday completely destroyed one unit and damaged another in a Rancho Penasquitos apartment complex, displacing two families.
Pancho Segura, who rose from poverty to win six U.S. Pro singles and doubles championships and was one of the world's top amateur players in the 1940s and professionals in the 1950s, has died. He was 96.